Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer are enough

Old 04-10-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many deer are enough

I have to scratch my balding head when I hear people claiming that it was common to see 100 deer a day in states like PA, NJ or NY. I would only have to assume that this was in some sort of suburban type area where there was very limited hunting and very few predators because in the more rural, wilderness areas there has NEVER been anywhere close to such numbers of deer in most places in the Northeast. The deer weren't there in such number be it 50, 30, or 20 years ago and there still isn't today. I could only suggest to these suburban hunters to go try to hunt in true wilderness areas like the Adirondacks or Maine and learn how to actually hunt deer and not just count them like sheep from a tree stand that is about 50 yards away from someones backyard swimming pool.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:26 AM

Here we go again with the peeing match of who's the better hunter
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, you're wrong. I am not making this into a contest here. I am simply saying that any hunter who complains about not seeing 100 deer a day really has never been hunting and frankly doesn't know what hunting is, period. Where is it written that a hunter needs to see scores of deer each day to make hunting worthwhile?? It wouldn't be called "hunting" if it was supposed to be as easy as picking up a package of beef or chicken at the supermarket, would it? They should then call it "shooting", "killing" or "deer picking" if it was supposed to be as easy as picking strawberries. I think the guys hunting suburban areas where there are scores of deer serve a purpose in deer management, but as far as them having a true hunting experience hunting an animal in it's natural environment, I can assure them that they are not getting it in such places.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are places in my county (around 80-90% rural timberland) where the deer are considered heavily populated on private landand on the public land(WMA) across the highway the population drastically falls. I attribute it to management practices and differing habitats among the two. The county as a whole has seen deer populations skyrocket in the past 30 years, as with many otherareas in the US.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 AM

too many or not enough is all relative to each individual situation. in areas of good deer habitat and agriculture the carrying capacity of the land is much more. in areas of poor deer habitat and no agriculture 10- 15 d/sm might be the limit. i took a 250 acre property from 04 seeing on average 5-10 deer a day to in 07 you could see 30-40+, which in my opinion was too many. all it took was creating better deer habitat and planting some food plot's combined with low hunting pressure.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you consider yourself a good hunter, c'mom up to northern New England where the deer population can be less than 10 deer per square mile.

If you can consistently drag out your buck, I tip my hat to ya!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

If you consider yourself a good hunter, c'mom up to northern New England where the deer population can be less than 10 deer per square mile.

Just what I was going to say. Spend all day still hunting the big timber and hope to see a deer. If you can see 2-3 a day, it was a good day.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MikeVT

Just what I was going to say. Spend all day still hunting the big timber and hope to see a deer. If you can see 2-3 a day, it was a good day.
Yep, you said it Mike.
That's what separates the men from the boys...
Anybody can shoot a deer when you see 30-40 every day.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeVT

Yep, you said it Mike.
That's what separates the men from the boys...
Anybody can shoot a deer when you see 30-40 every day.

So your saying that if you knew where the best opportunity was to take a nice buck or multiple deer you wouldn't take it, you'd go to the most remote area you possibly could with 2-3 deer per Sq. mile because it'd be to easy? I'm kinda confused.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Alabama and in some Areas " OUT IN THE COUNTRY " its notunusual to see 10 deer in one evning or morning hunt, but in most common places that i hunt, if i see a deer, im HAPPY..

Quick Reply: How many deer are enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.