Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new to the hunting scene...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 PM

Default new to the hunting scene...

Hey listen guys im new to the hunting scene but have been skeet and trap shooting my whole life. Im 21 and messed up my shooting elbow and shoulder playing football so i can't use any type of bow. This sucks because I find hunting deer with a bow would be more of a challenge and would much rather do that than with rifle or shotgun. So I've been reading and seeing how the crossbow is looked down upon in the hunting scene but it seems like my best option. Im looking to purchase my first crossbow and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good option for whitetail. I see 180# draw is the most noted for deer, but i just don't know brand quality to well... any suggestions? thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to the hunting scene...

There is a crossbow forum on here you may want to check out. If the cross bow thing doesn't work out gun hunt like you have a bow. Make sure all the game are within box range before you pull the trigger. I have seen young kids who can't pull a bow yet do this.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Everyone has his own standard for "fairness". I usually do not use a scoped gun but I do have a scope on my inline muzzle loader. I may take up bow hunting when I retire and have more free time but I also have thought of flintlocks. In any case, each of us sets his own standard.
I think a flintlock would be as challenging as a cross bow. Here in Iowa there are muzzle loader seasons and muzzle loaders are legal durung the shotgun season too. A flintlock could extend you season wherever you live too.
Whatever you decide, do not think too much about what others think. I do not judge other's hunting standards (when they are legal) and do not expect others to follow mine (except of property where I am responsible).

Get out there and quit worrying about someone looking down on what you are doing. When I am too old to walk around I intend to hunt from a vehicle. (legal in Iowa for disabled hunters, with some other restrictions)

Bob
Old 04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

Whatever you decide, do not think too much about what others think. I do not judge other's hunting standards (when they are legal) and do not expect others to follow mine (except of property where I am responsible).

Get out there and quit worrying about someone looking down on what you are doing.
Bob
i second the motion. Hunting is all about getting out there and having the time of your life. Getting real close to deer in nature is awesome.

whatever you do, have fun! Welcome to the hunting scene
Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt with anything that is legal in the areayou are located, and shoot anything that is legal that you want to shoot.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

If the crossbow doesn't work out for you there's always muzzleloaders, just as challenging in their own way since you only get one shot and have a limited range.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

You might also consider hunting with a Pistol.. That can be fun and challenging as well.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think bow and crossbow are 2 different methods, I'm not really into crossbows, less in injury/disabiliity/elderly situations, so get one and use it, dont feel bad.