Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 new to the hunting scene... >

new to the hunting scene...

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

new to the hunting scene...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 PM

Default new to the hunting scene...

Hey all, quick question... im new to the hunting scene and I have a messed up elbow and shoulder from college rugby. Im 21 and because of my shoulder traditional bow hunting is out of the question, which brought me to crossbows because I still wanted to challenge myself out in the woods. Im looking to purchase my first crossbow and right now im almost decided on the Barnett Rhino 4 system. I'm open to any suggestions but being as its my first one i don't want to spend more than 250 really... appreciate the help... it will be used for whitetail and turkey in case thats a helping factor...
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to the hunting scene...

In addition to price, check out the manufacturer's warranty and customer service reputation. There are a lot of entry level bows on the market currently, more than ever before. Excalibur, Parker and Ten Point all have started packages around $400, and lifetime warranties. And don't overlook used bows. Some companies honor the warranty...even on a bow you didn't purchase new. Be sure to shoot the bow before you buy to see if it fits, if you an cock it and if ou can live with the trigger. It you have limited service support available locally, you may want to consider a recurve bow like Excalibur or one now made my Ten Point. They are much easier to maintain. Welcome to the forum and best luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:15 PM

Hey, just got back from Bass Pro Shop and bought a Horton Explorer HD 150... I wasn't a fan of it at first from peoples opinions but I fired it there and it just felt too good to let go. So i went ahead and purchased the package, little pricey though. But overall after sighting it in hit 3 inch target twice from 20 yards with barely any sighting necessary so overall I'm extremely happy with it and can't wait to try it in the field on some whitetail...

Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats and WELCOME to the CB world...
Old 04-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to crossbow hunting!