Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moving deer feeder

Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default Moving deer feeder

My corn feeder can't throw the corn out fast enough. The ground is always bare when I go by to check it. Only problem is I want to move it about 150 yards to a little hollow that would free up more hunting area. And would put it at a much more accessible area. Will the deer just follow where it is and start feeding there or will they be spooked off by their meal ticket magically moving. Also, will they look for it when it's gone and be willing to go the extra 150 yards to find it?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moving deer feeder

If there is a trail that goes through the new area they will find it.

They will be used to it where it was but given time they'll find the new location and be feeding there too.

I put one out for the first time this year. Plenty of tracks under it but I never saw a deer near it. Not that I was there that much. I just figure they hit it at night. But I don't hunt near it anyway. I just like keeping them on the property if I can.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Yea I'm trying to move it so that it's not right in the area that I hunt. If I want to keep it going during season I have to be 200 yards away and out of line of sight. By putting it in this new area I'll have more legal area to hunt without letting it run out. As it is now it's right in the middle of my land. I want every advantage I can get but I want to by all means do it legally. Could I leave a slight trail from one spot to the other for them to follow. I know that sounds kinda dumb (leaving a crumb trail) but would it work or help? Also, where I want to put it I could access it quickly with my truck. As apposed to where it is I have to hike in to it over a creek and through the woods. Nothing easy about carrying a ladder and 40 lb. bags to a feeder that is across a creek and up 2 hills. Where I want to put it I can just drive to about 25 yards within it and walk down hill to it.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

The deer will hear that feeder from that far. They even make a game call that sounds like a feeder going off. If your area is cleaned up after each feeding time then they want the feed. They will find it very quick.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 PM

If you make up some flyers with a map on them and leave them where the old feeder was or put up signs with arrows might help! Seriously, have moved mine twice, they find it no problem! They can smell the food!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

If you make up some flyers with a map on them and leave them where the old feeder was or put up signs with arrows might help!
I might just do that. Should I leave the map posted on a tree or mail it to:
Mr. Big Buck
My Hunting Land
Carrollton, GA 30117

Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know on our ranch in west Texas you could move the feeder 1500 yards and they will find it, I have no experience in Ga. (YET) but I would be willing to bet you won't have any problems by moving it 150 yards and like snook said they will hear it, by the way that little feeder call he is talking about I have seen that work too....Good Luck With It