Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting response

Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: baiting response

ORIGINAL: Remnard

CWD isn't bound by climates. All it needs is a warm blooded host(s) to proliferate. It is predominant in areas that allow baiting and where penned deer or ruminates for that matter are kept in close proximity to one another. . The reason you don't see it in the north is because deer densities are usually much lighter, so one doesn't have that overcrowded, close animal to animal contact like southern climes where overpopulation is prevalent.
I'm not aware of any cases of CWD in any of the southern states. Have any been reported?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

New Mexico has had reported cases of CWD.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

This debate is interesting to me because I used to be one of the guys who thought that hunting over bait was pathetic.

I shot anice buck this year hunting public land on a DIY huntin a state with VERY strict anti-baiting rules (even using a scent dripper is illegal in Montana).

I shot a smaller buck this year hunting my own private land in a state where baiting is so widespread you can buy "Deer Corn" at the gas station, supermarket, etc. and it is almost unheard of to not hunt over bait (Texas). I did use bait, you pretty much have to just to get the deer to come on your land if your neighbors all around you are running feeders. I also planted 16 acres of footplots and am doing several other things to improve the habitat.

I was happy with both deer that I shot and don't consider myself a better hunter shooting one verus the other. I do feel like shooting the deer on my own land using bait took more "work" than shooting the deer on public land.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

You said 3 or 4 different things there... Feed plots, CWD, cash crop fields, dogs your friends are running, no dogs allowed... What are you really saying? Food plots are OK, feeding/baiting is ok, dogs are OK, dogs are ruining things?

EDIT: sorry, I thought when you said you started the debate you were the one that started the thread. But still, what is it that you are trying to say. I really like this debate, so I really want to see some counterpoints to my statements.
My main point was that I appreciate the different tactics, state to state...from hunter to hunter. I have used just about all of them. It is just a shame that the larger hunt clubs in my area do not share the same eticate that others share. I believe that I should have the right to still hunt with my bow, without the clubs dogs around. My point was that the larger groups should keep tighter restraints on their hounds, especially off season. In my area it is illegal to hunt with dogs unless its shotgun season. Last season I was muzzleloader hunting and had to deal with dogs on my private land.

I understand that my food plots are not contributing to the CWD or Bovine. I am not planning on setting any stands directly on the plots, but rather on the corridors and trails that lead to them, so in a way I am baiting. Its illegal to hunt within a certain distance from bait or food plots. Its just an ethical thing to me to not set up and shoot while they are standing still for an hour eating.

This "debate" probably does have me talking in circles...maybe thats why it is so interesting!

If its legal to bait, knock yourself out. If you hunt with dogs, knock yourself out. Just take into consideration theperson orpeople hunting with their tactics on the neighboring land. Just keep it legal, safe, and most importantly ethical.

Here is a picture of my land. Mine is outlined, and the blue border is a huge creek, almost a river. You can see the hunt property directly across the creek. In most cases its pretty awesome to have their hounds running deer into my land...which usually happens, and there is nothing I can do about it. Its when they "sneak" in on days they dont see my truck at the entrance and let the dogs out...on my property. That is what gets my goat, especially when they do it out of dog season!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Switchback XT, RipCord Rest, HHA OL-5500 Sight,
Carbon Express Maxima 250 Arrows, Muzzy 3 Blade 100gr. Broadheads,
T/C Omega, Leupold VX-II 3-9X40, 250gr. Sabots
Remington 11-87, Leupold VX-II 3-9X40, Lightfields Slugs
Mossberg 835 Turkey Shotgu

When you throw all this stuff away and make your own bow & arrow from sticks and rocks, and then track and stalk your prey, then you will be a REAL hunter. Dont bash someone for throwing out some corn and such to attract a deer to a particular location. I would be willing to bet that you have hunted a fields edge, or near oak trees, this is essentially useing bait because you know the deer will get hungery and come to one of these spots eventually.We try to give ourselves every advantagewe can to harvest an animal, doe pee, cover scents, etc. I would think twice before you start labeling people.
My thoughts exactly.. I grew up hunting over corn in Tx and when I moved to MS the first thing they said was "You can't hunt over corn here in MS" I said fine. Then how do you all hunt.. They took me to a 2 acre oat patch.. I was like Whoo Hoo you mean I can hunt over oats.. Cause we can't grow that stuff in South Texas.. Now they are having the debate here in MS on whether to allow hunting over corn. IMO there is little to no difference between food plots and corn.. Personally I don't care either way.. But for MS they either need to legalize it or enforce it.. Because the slap on the hand fine they have for it is what is causing all the problems
Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The nearest field to me is roughly 2.5 miles away, the area I hunt has acorns just like any other area, it took me years of adjustments from observing deer movements to find the area I hunt. I hunt on there travel pattern to/from there bedding area. I've been hunting for so long that back in the day baiting wasn't even a topic, so why change, I do just fine. I earn my deer as a hunter not a baiter
Old 03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

I have no problem with how you hunt, but to bash other hunters for how they hunt is just being a jack*ss. I dont advicate doing anything illegal, so if somebody hunts within the laws provided for they're area, I dont see anything wrong with it. Just because I dont hunt the way someone else hunts, doesnt mean that they're not "hunters". You claim that you are the "hunter", but you sound more like an anti-hunter to me.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

The nearest field to me is roughly 2.5 miles away, the area I hunt has acorns just like any other area, it took me years of adjustments from observing deer movements to find the area I hunt. I hunt on there travel pattern to/from there bedding area. I've been hunting for so long that back in the day baiting wasn't even a topic, so why change, I do just fine. I earn my deer as a hunter not a baiter
I'm not surprised your a jersey cop, your a jackass like the majority of them
Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

halfrack, calling people names on here I'm sure is a rule violation. Next time you get pulled over or a CO stops you while hunting/fishing, say that to there face!!!!

baiting deer is an easy way to hunt, I agree if the law allows it so be it. But I know lots of hunters within my home state, and the ones that bait kill alot of deer and they brag that hunting is easy, or brag how they killed 15, 20 or more deer per season, this doesn't make you a hunter this makes you look like a killer. And most of deer they take are either does, yearlings including lots of button bucks, but then complaine how they don't see as many rack bucks as they have in the past. Keep killing and over harvesting, remember NJ doesn't care about the wildlife or our hunting, they care about getting the 'ole mighty dollar bill $$$$$$$$
Old 03-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use mock scrapes, scents and calls. where i hunt it is illegal to bait. my personal belief is if you are going to bait (legally) make food plots, something that benefits the deer. throwing corn out does not benefit the deer, in a nutritional aspect.

Quick Reply: baiting response

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.