HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - baiting response
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Hoyt_Viper
Typical Buck

Default RE: baiting response

You said 3 or 4 different things there... Feed plots, CWD, cash crop fields, dogs your friends are running, no dogs allowed... What are you really saying? Food plots are OK, feeding/baiting is ok, dogs are OK, dogs are ruining things?

EDIT: sorry, I thought when you said you started the debate you were the one that started the thread. But still, what is it that you are trying to say. I really like this debate, so I really want to see some counterpoints to my statements.
My main point was that I appreciate the different tactics, state to state...from hunter to hunter. I have used just about all of them. It is just a shame that the larger hunt clubs in my area do not share the same eticate that others share. I believe that I should have the right to still hunt with my bow, without the clubs dogs around. My point was that the larger groups should keep tighter restraints on their hounds, especially off season. In my area it is illegal to hunt with dogs unless its shotgun season. Last season I was muzzleloader hunting and had to deal with dogs on my private land.

I understand that my food plots are not contributing to the CWD or Bovine. I am not planning on setting any stands directly on the plots, but rather on the corridors and trails that lead to them, so in a way I am baiting. Its illegal to hunt within a certain distance from bait or food plots. Its just an ethical thing to me to not set up and shoot while they are standing still for an hour eating.

This "debate" probably does have me talking in circles...maybe thats why it is so interesting!

If its legal to bait, knock yourself out. If you hunt with dogs, knock yourself out. Just take into consideration theperson orpeople hunting with their tactics on the neighboring land. Just keep it legal, safe, and most importantly ethical.

Here is a picture of my land. Mine is outlined, and the blue border is a huge creek, almost a river. You can see the hunt property directly across the creek. In most cases its pretty awesome to have their hounds running deer into my land...which usually happens, and there is nothing I can do about it. Its when they "sneak" in on days they dont see my truck at the entrance and let the dogs out...on my property. That is what gets my goat, especially when they do it out of dog season!