Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

O.K. Folks...I'm in the market for a new deer/hog rifle. I'm a lefty, and want a left handed bolt action....so that in itself narrows my choices down...butI could usesome input on caliber.
I'm not new to hunting or guns, just been out of the woods too long and I'm determined to get back.
I'm trying to decide between the .270, .30-06, 7mm. Rem. Mag., and MAYBE the .300 Win. Mag.

If it was JUST deer....the .270 would be my choice...but where I hunt we have lots of hogs...big ones! Hogs killed that weight over 400 lbs. in our area are not rare. Most are in the 200lb.-300lb. range for a big one.

So..just trying to get some feedback on which caliber you folks would choose for deer and hogs/BIG hogs.....I only mention the 7Mag and 300 Win. Mag. because I've seen how effective they are on some of the bigger hogs. That .300 will flatten them!....but recoil is pretty stout.

Any opinions would be welcomed

Schoolcraft
Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

im pretty sure a .308 would do the trick on hogs, i know it does the trick on deer!
not too much recoil either, even with the 180 grains
Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ditch the7mm mag, consider the rest.....but sounds like its between the -06 and the 300 win mag, why not at .300 WSM?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

I had also thought about the .300 WSM......I'm really wanting a stainless/synthetic rifle. So far the only .300 WSM in a left handed gun I've foundis in a wood stocked Browning Hunter Model.

Does anyone know who makes a lefty stainless/synthetic in the .300 WSM?

Also, I would love some feedback on recoil. I've shot the .270, 7mm.Mag, and .30-06 extensively. None of which bother me in the recoil department.

Just curious if I went with something like a Browning Stainless Stalker how much difference I would feel between the 7 Mag and the .300 Winny on my shoulder. To be honest, the recoil itself doesn't really bother me. I'm more afraid of getting caught over the eye with the scope.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

ditch the7mm mag, consider the rest.....but sounds like its between the -06 and the 300 win mag, why not at .300 WSM?
Why???

Personally I find the .284 cal. as capabale as .308 cal.for game upto and including moose. I have never felt a loss by choosing my 7mm rem mag over my 300's...in fact both the wm and wby are gone. I like the 300wm a lot, just don't see it being a requirement for NA game either - certainlynot a huge improvement over the likes of rem mag. I have never had the love affair with jack of all trades master of none - 3006, like others do. It certainly is a fine choice but no better then 7mm rem mag IMHO.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

I had also thought about the .300 WSM......I'm really wanting a stainless/synthetic rifle. So far the only .300 WSM in a left handed gun I've foundis in a wood stocked Browning Hunter Model.

Does anyone know who makes a lefty stainless/synthetic in the .300 WSM?

Also, I would love some feedback on recoil. I've shot the .270, 7mm.Mag, and .30-06 extensively. None of which bother me in the recoil department.

Just curious if I went with something like a Browning Stainless Stalker how much difference I would feel between the 7 Mag and the .300 Winny on my shoulder. To be honest, the recoil itself doesn't really bother me. I'm more afraid of getting caught over the eye with the scope.
Savage did make a SS/synthetic in the wsm for us southpaws.

As far as which one, I certainly wouldn't kick the .270 out just yet. Teamed with a nosler partion, barnes TSX, etc it'll handle them big hog shoulders. I have used the 270win to harvest moose, elk, black bear and as well as deerthat tip the scales at 300+.

As i mentioned in my previous post I use the 7mm rem mag and really like its performance. I have shot antelope to moose with it, 30 to 500+ yards and never a hick up. Pick a .308 cartidge and you'll find a .284 that'll equal. (ie: 308win - 7mm08rem, 3006sprg - 280rem, etc). IMHO the .284 is a versatileNA big game caliber. The rem mag does a good job handling the big game bullets in the .284 cal - 140-175grs.

As far as recoil of a 300 wm to a 7mm rem mag ina comparablegun/model it's noticable butmost find it tolerable.

In regards to scope kiss,put a scope with min ER of 3.5" and have it set up properly to take advatange of the fullER afforded.Now more scopes are coming with constant ER which helps eliminate the possibilities of crowding the scope when changing the mag or improper set up in the first place. Recoil isn't the culprit for most scope kisses, shooters are..be it in setup, technique, etc. Never been scope kissed by my own rifle touch wood butcame close a couple times with others rifles that weren't set up for me. I wouldn't let it bother you if it hasn't happened yet.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Fork Horn

The Hell with the .284!! I got a .284 Browning Lever action and Ammo costs a FORTUNE! wish i never got it.. box of bullets 20 pack averages 40-45$. GO with .308 ... enough said.. Has a great punch.. shot a 190lbs Dressed deer @ 110 yards this past nov.. on target.. went 20 yards and dropped. HUGE DEER. besides a .308 box of bullets costs ya under 20$.. and add a 5$ rebate you can usually find.. but the .284? jeez i cant even get the parts for the attachement rods to clean it with.. almost IMPOSSIBLE! i shoulda been a reloaded.. the only cost efective way to own a .284 winchester caliber.
as were speaking of .284 someone told me I could use 7mm mag bullets? is that true? i gotta research this more.. who else has a .284? what ammo do you use? Winchester Super X is the only ammo i could find anywhere..
thanks.. hope my $.02 helped ya.
ps.. look into the TIKKA they might have the lefty guns for ya..
Tikka T3 Light.. in .308 synthetic stock.. not sure if they have stainless but im sure they do.. im ordering a tikka t3 (bolt Action) lite in 7mm Rem Mag synthetic with blued barrel.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Heres a lefty Savage ss in 300wsm:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9935_13987_14246_14275& products_id=96880
Old 03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ckrimits

The Hell with the .284!! I got a .284 Browning Lever action and Ammo costs a FORTUNE! wish i never got it.. box of bullets 20 pack averages 40-45$. GO with .308 ... enough said.. Has a great punch.. shot a 190lbs Dressed deer @ 110 yards this past nov.. on target.. went 20 yards and dropped. HUGE DEER. besides a .308 box of bullets costs ya under 20$.. and add a 5$ rebate you can usually find.. but the .284? jeez i cant even get the parts for the attachement rods to clean it with.. almost IMPOSSIBLE! i shoulda been a reloaded.. the only cost efective way to own a .284 winchester caliber.
as were speaking of .284 someone told me I could use 7mm mag bullets? is that true? i gotta research this more.. who else has a .284? what ammo do you use? Winchester Super X is the only ammo i could find anywhere..
thanks.. hope my $.02 helped ya.
ps.. look into the TIKKA they might have the lefty guns for ya..
Tikka T3 Light.. in .308 synthetic stock.. not sure if they have stainless but im sure they do.. im ordering a tikka t3 (bolt Action) lite in 7mm Rem Mag synthetic with blued barrel.
ckrimits,
skeeter is talking .284 caliber, not 284 win cartridge. If you reload the .284 caliber is a 7mm bullet. 7-08win, 280rem, 284win, 7mm rem mag, 7mm weatherby, all use .284 caliber bullets. When he said .308 he meant caliber not 308win cartridge. .308 or 7.62mm bullets are the same in the 308win, 300wm, 30-06.

school,
i'd just get a 270win if that is what you like. It would have plenty of penetration.

mello
Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a .280. My dad owns a .280 and uses it for deer, antelope, black bear and he hopes to down to Arkansas to do some hog hunting. I've shot a couple deer with it and it knocks them down without all the recoil. It's a good caliber!!!

Quick Reply: CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.