Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

Old 03-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

I use a 140 grain .280 with a nosler partition. It shoots flat and has good velocity.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heckwith a NP I'd let him have it with a number of my rifles but since i no longer own an 06' I'll pick the Rem Mag.

In reality it won't matter a hill of beans both will do the job, as would a 270win, 300...etc.Buy which ever one you want, i see nothing marginal with the choices you have mentioned thus far. Good cartridges and great bullet!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

'06 with 180gr, slower heavier bullet, controlled expansion, I think somethign small and light would want to bust apart more on impact and not keep going. Course nowadays you can get any bullet in any caliber just about to find something that works great.

In regards to barrel length, I was stating that all mags.....tend to have 26" barrels, 7mm or 300 win mag, so that adds weight, and if you can get buy with a lighter setup, a 270 or .30-06 i'd go that route, and if I am going to need a mag, or prefer to shoot a mag, I'd take the 300WM over the 7mm Mag.

I'm a fan of the win mag, and yea I'm not sure how you can load a '06 up to win mag specs, or even close with such a difference in case capacity. The .300 win mag is just such a class/awesome catrdige IMO, I remeber the first time I used it thinking, nothing could stand up to a .300 mag. Just seeing that bigger magnum case when I was use to a .270 case, was awesome. You're loading 7mm with 140grs going about 3400fps? I think that would be more my style than a 175gr in a 7mm going 2900-3000fps? Not sure what I'd use if I had a7mm on elk, prob 160gr, though again I think how much great is 160grs in a7mm vs 150 in a 270, or 150/165/180gr in a '06. Sure you can shoot the same bullet with an extra 400fps? and it's flatter, I just think 3000fps is ideal for big game, varmints i like 4000fps, and african/dangerous I like 2400fps. To each their own, I'm not sure I'll ever shoot enough elk/moose with a rifle to really become sold on one way or another, so till my .300 mag lets me down, or .340 wby, speaking of, how abbout a .340 shoting 210gr partitions at around i dunno 3400fps? mayb 3300fps?

And so of your new question, id say .30-06 with 180gr at 100yds for hog, over the 7mm with 160. If you're really not shooting far, I don't think you need a mag either, at 100yds yoru not worried about bullet drop etc....

How about a .308 for hogs? could be great for your setup at 100yds....
Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thought I might mention, .338 Win Mag., tons of guys love them for deer, and that would certainly be a good hog round, and with the .338 now you're really talking about anything in north america. Could be a fun round to shoot/own. I wouldn't worry about kick either compared to any of the other mags. My new vote is 1.) 30-06 if you want to go with a classic and have it do what you want it to well. 2.) .338 Win. Mag. if you want an awesome round, and not be another guy with a .308 caliber, I'm voting for the .338, but you'd have to decide.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Fork Horn

Salukipv1

lets say i was going to get a Tikka T3 LIte .338 Win Mag.
now.. my question is.. what ammo would you buy/use?
Remmington .. or Winchester super X ?
$18 a box vs $32 a box
big difference.
I want a gun as well. and looking into a Tikka T3 Lite.. not sure what caliber either.. but want a bullet that will go through some nice brush as well as long distance (200-400) yards and have a pop. but.. for the range.. and just shootin.. $32+ adds up real quick.. for guys like me.. any tips?
thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

You are going to have to but both and shoot them. I found some 270 ammo for $10 a box and bought 10 boxes for practice. It would shoot around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" Not too bad. Especially when the ammo I hunt with shoots a half inch smaller at 100 yds and costs 4 times as much!

Dont shoot through brush, I dont care what the idiot at the gun store told you. 400 yds not really that far away for a clear shot. Just about any centerfire will do that.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Schoolcraft

At 100yds either would work just as well with the bullet mentioned. The secret is the bullet. In real world situations just about any bullet in .277, .284, .308 caliber will flat out kill any deer in north America provided it was placed well. Hog are a little tougher, though some would argue that. As long as you realize this and use an appropriate bullet such as the partition or other controlled expansion bullet you will be fine. I would not hesitate to shoot a large hog with my 25-06 given the proper bullet construction and a good shot opportunity. So it really goes back to what you are comfortable with and want. Find what you like and use the appropriate bullet and you will have not problems. An appropriate bullet with good placement will equal dinner on the table.

mello
Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 AM

30-06 165 gr is my bullet of choice.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard to add more after whatskeeter 7mm stated. I too am a fan of the 7 mm mag. As I've stated in many posts before, I have never felt the recoil when harvesting game. With that said I do shoot lots atthe range and I wouldn't with out a shoulder recoil pad. As to the statement of ,"What's the big deal about $20/box for ammo", How about over $40/box plus,up here in Canada for some premium 7 mm mag rounds.I've been reloading these same 7mm mag rounds for years and even now can load them for approx.$.68/round. As you stated you did not have an issuewith recoil so I would lean towards a magnum. And the magnum would be the 7mm. 150 gr. will shoot flat and do the job for you. Being a lefty does restrict your choices but savagehas lefties in many cal. and styles. The first thing I would do is shoulder a few different guns and decide which best fits you. Make sure the models you are trying come in lefties so you won't be dissapointed. Don't spare the changewhen buying a scope for your new rig and you will be happy with it for many years. Thoughyou stated that the rig will be primarily for hogs and deer, the 7mm mag will offer a option for other big game hunting in your future which you at this time may not consider.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Thought I might mention, .338 Win Mag., tons of guys love them for deer, and that would certainly be a good hog round, and with the .338 now you're really talking about anything in north america. Could be a fun round to shoot/own. I wouldn't worry about kick either compared to any of the other mags. My new vote is 1.) 30-06 if you want to go with a classic and have it do what you want it to well. 2.) .338 Win. Mag. if you want an awesome round, and not be another guy with a .308 caliber, I'm voting for the .338, but you'd have to decide.
I shoot a .338 also. I use a 225 grain Remington Core-lokt. Its a nice shooting gun and you can use it on anything.

Quick Reply: CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.