Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Waiting for my first time

Old 02-12-2003, 09:11 PM

Default Waiting for my first time

Well, I' ve always have been into the outdoors. Fishing was always a poplular thing in my family. Nobody in my family ever hunted or was ever into it. Well, after speaking with a few friends, I began being hooked. Now I' m obsessed and it' s about the only thing I think of. I have to wait untill september to go out for my first time. I' ve been on the board for about a month and I seem to learn more and more. I read magazines and watch videos constantly! My question is, How important is stand placement and wind when hunting? How do you adjust according to the wind?
Old 02-12-2003, 09:40 PM

Default RE: Waiting for my first time

some people use stands, some dont. i personally dont because i dont trust them. and, falling and breaking my leg 300yrds away from a rual road in 18 degree weather isnt my idea of a good time. so i find a hill with a good vantage point. as far as the wind goes. wind direction is huge! deer have a great sense of smell. which brings up another good reason i dont use a stand. when the wind changes direction, its easier to adjust when you on the ground.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both stand/blind placement and wind are huge factors in hunting...no matter what the weapon, but especially a bow. You' ll want to scout the area or areas you intend to hunt this fall. I like to start scouting right after the season has ended, during winter/spring when shed hunting and then in the summer I really hit the woods. Look for route to and from bedding areas, food sources & water, also look for rublines or dominant signs such as scrapes. Set up according to the seasons and the deer patterns, meaning sitting on an old rubline in sept. can be a huge waste of time. During early bow I key in on food, water and bed. As things progress I sart looking for other areas, but food remains a top priority. When Rut is approaching and on I hunt the rublines/scrapes, never forget food but during that breeding season I like to get back in the woods...what is often referred to as the " bedroom" . Stand placement will vary, but I would make sure you have either a couple of choices or one prime and then ground choices as well. You can probably get an idea form some local hunters, etc what the predominant winds during that time of year are for the area as a base. I actually prefer the ground, just due to being able to adapt to the wind, rather than only hunt one wind in one stand. Whatever you do keep that wind in your favour and you' ll do fine.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Fork Horn

Stand placement is the single most important factor in being succesfull.
And wind plays a major role not only in stand placement but then when you can hunt that stand.

Old 02-13-2003, 04:45 AM

I use multiple stands to hunt different wind directions on different days.Stands can give you better visibility and hide you some from the deers eyes but entail a risk factor also with chance of fall.There will be a prevailing wind direction in your area that will be about 75% of the time the main wind direction.Learn it and use it to your advantage.Ladder stands are more stable and safer than climbers or loc-ons.Read up on still hunting vs stand hunting and try a combination of the two.

woods
Old 02-13-2003, 04:57 AM

Well Skeeter 7mm said it.

If you do use a stand you can move around alittle bit easier without being noticed. Ground hunting is alittle more exciting, but you' ll want to stay as still as possible. Try looking around with just your eyes don' t move your head unless you have to. Wind makes a huge difference, if they smell you they may decide to go a different way.