HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   The Milo Hanson Buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/234427-milo-hanson-buck.html)

Jasonlester 02-25-2008 08:22 AM

The Milo Hanson Buck

I was just taking a good look at the pics of the Milo Hanson buck. An awesome buck for sure. But I was noticing, and it may just be the size of the antlers. But it doesn't carry muck mass for it size. It looks to me that my buck from this year had similar mass (of course not nearly as tall or as many points) Anyone know the age of the Hanson buck?

Jimmy S 02-25-2008 08:40 AM

RE: The Milo Hanson Buck

Jason:
Here's some stats on the buck:

Hanson Buck The Official World Record Whitetail Deer
Deer Base Information Shot Nov. 23, 1993 near Biggar Saskatchewan. Official Boone and Crockett score is 213 1/8. This replaces the Jordan Buck, shot 80 years ago. The Hanson Buck was shot on land belonging to Milo Hanson. Shot with .308 Winchester 150 grain factory ammo - three shots hit the buck. The rifle was a Winchester model 88 with a Weaver K4 scope. The distance was about 100 yards for the inital shot, running straight away. A large fragment of the first bullet is embedded in the left main beam, causing a crack and significant removal of antler material. The main beam is structurally sound. The Hanson Buck antlers are incredibly wide and uniform with great tine length.
The buck was an estimated 3 1/2 years old. The estimated body weight was 200 pounds. The body was not large compared to many mature Saskatchewan bucks.

125py 02-25-2008 08:53 AM

no....its not that great of mass (for a world record deer)

Jasonlester 02-25-2008 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Jason:
Here's some stats on the buck:

[align=center]Hanson Buck The Official World Record Whitetail Deer[/align][align=left]Deer Base Information Shot Nov. 23, 1993 near Biggar Saskatchewan. Official Boone and Crockett score is 213 1/8. This replaces the Jordan Buck, shot 80 years ago. The Hanson Buck was shot on land belonging to Milo Hanson. Shot with .308 Winchester 150 grain factory ammo - three shots hit the buck. The rifle was a Winchester model 88 with a Weaver K4 scope. The distance was about 100 yards for the inital shot, running straight away. A large fragment of the first bullet is embedded in the left main beam, causing a crack and significant removal of antler material. The main beam is structurally sound. The Hanson Buck antlers are incredibly wide and uniform with great tine length. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]The buck was an estimated 3 1/2 years old. The estimated body weight was 200 pounds. The body was not large compared to many mature Saskatchewan bucks.
[/align]
Dang I didn't know that. That worried me this year when I shot my buck. I shot high spining him but had to shoot again to put him down. Realizing I had shot high I was worried I would shoot realy high and hit him in the antler. So I aimed low. Would have sucked for Milo to shoot that antler off huh.

3 1/2 ...Thats what I was wondering. Man what a buck at that age. Wonder what he would have been like at 4 1/2 or 5 1/2.

Awesome deer for sure.

skeeter 7MM 02-25-2008 09:59 AM

Having seen the real thing at the first scoring it isn't even average for mass here but your eyes don't really noticethat at first,as his width, beam and tine length is amazing. I can see that deer 6 days a week in replica form as the big hunting shop has one at the entrance..his attributes far outweigh his short comings;).

At that antler scoring the area where the bullet struck the beam was taped, however it had to be removed for H measurement....it was a an errand shot no doubt about it. He claimed at that time it wasn't his but laterstated it was a frag from his shot. The skull also had a damage from the finshing shot[&:]!!! It was very close to what would have been a world record. He goes by "Mr lucky" as well as Mr. hansen;)

You said it...imagine what he would have been like in a year or 2???[:o]

trailinone 02-25-2008 10:12 AM

I would have a hard time keeping my composure if he walked under my stand. Nice deer, even without the mass.
chris

BarnesX.308 02-25-2008 10:21 AM

Wonder what he would have been like at 4 1/2 or 5 1/2.
He would have too many deductions to be the world record if he lived an extra year or two. Two of the tines were already split.

Jasonlester 02-25-2008 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

..his attributes far outweigh his short comings;).

No doubt!!!

You saw it scored,... Very cool...

I'm not sure I could have hit it looking at that buck either. Like I said I worried about it with my buck and he wasn't running.

skeeter 7MM 02-25-2008 01:55 PM

Biggar is an hour from where I live. However at the time the deer was taken I was working as a guide in the NW of the province,asluck would have ita individual who's well known in the industry was on hand(as per usual). We made the convoy trip to see/green score it at Milo's farm.The individual was Jim Shockey and he was asked by Dick Idol of NA Whitetail to go verify the story. Itwas on this night that Jim on Dicks behalf basically inked the deal for NA Whitetail to have the exclusive on the hansen buck.Cool experience no doubt. I also attended the official scoring (along with several 1000 others:eek:) at the Bigger arena. This was far less interactive as the deer was well out of arms reach in a roped off area...given the maganitude of what this deer would bring understandable...but also cool to say "hey I was their!"

GregH 02-25-2008 03:00 PM

That's a very cool experience indeed, skeeter7MM.

Now get the next one yourself!! [:-]

stikbow26 02-25-2008 03:11 PM

My guess would be and only a guess but if that deer would have made it to 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 he most likely would have added junk and stikers and they would have been deductions, It is the clean antlers that makes him score so well!! Walt

salukipv1 02-25-2008 03:31 PM

I believe alot of world class bucks have smaller bodies.....read that somewhere also have seen some pics of monsters and did notice that characteristic. Certainly the hanson buck doesn't have the mass, and I believe it was young like 3.5yrs old. Which seems to make sense since little mass, I think mass tends to be added later on.

timbercruiser 02-25-2008 03:46 PM

I get the impression that Shokey would be a great guy to be around/hunt with. Is that impression correct?

GSPsnFORDs 02-25-2008 08:28 PM

I agree stikbow, another year or two and that deer probably would have added some junk.

I also love the fact that it was shot with a Winchester Model 88 (my dad has one that was his dad's)...it's not a very common gun that you see everyday.

SouthDakotaHunter 02-25-2008 08:46 PM

I also agree that he probably would have added a lot of junk with an extra couple of years. Would have been interesting to see how his rack matured...

skeeter 7MM 02-25-2008 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I get the impression that Shokey would be a great guy to be around/hunt with. Is that impression correct?
Always joking and acts like just another one of the guys.If you ever read his articles in Big Buck magazine,etcin the earlier years when he freelanced, everybody could relate.Told it like it was but added just enoughBS to make it interesting...lol:D They were so good b/c he was';t trying to be somebody he was just Jim, an avid hunter who like all of us had his share of downs with the odd up. Basically an average Joe who knew how to pen a goodstory.

He's bigtime now and when it comes to hunting he's allbusiness. Living the dream, who can blame him. He got to where he is by beinga good hunter, an even better businessmanand a guypeople just like.

Kid 02-26-2008 10:59 AM

I have seen both the Hanson buck and the Jordan buck in person, and while there is no denying the impressiveness of the Hanson buck ,the Jordan buck has to be seen to be appreciated. In terms of sheer mass, including the individual tines (which doesn't count on the score) the Jordan buck was the more impressive of the two. Either way, both were / are worthy of their World Record status.

early in 02-26-2008 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Kid

I have seen both the Hanson buck and the Jordan buck in person, and while there is no denying the impressiveness of the Hanson buck ,the Jordan buck has to be seen to be appreciated. In terms of sheer mass, including the individual tines (which doesn't count on the score) the Jordan buck was the more impressive of the two. Either way, both were / are worthy of their World Record status.
I agree 100%.;)

jackmcmanus21 02-26-2008 12:41 PM

this thing could have been a real monster in a few years

halfrack VIII 02-26-2008 06:47 PM

Even though that buck might have been only three and 1/2 years old. no one who has ever hunted deer could honestly say that they could pass on that bruiser

MBBobby 02-26-2008 07:13 PM

Just adding a little comment here. Famous shed hunter Bentley Coben picked up a shed antler from this deer and has a pic on his site.
http://www.bentleycoben.com

USFWC 12-22-2013 09:55 AM

I know this is an old thread, but Milo Hanson told me directly that the buck was aged at 4.5 years old, possibly 5.5, through tooth wear.

skinnnner 12-22-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jackmcmanus21 (Post 2593420)
this thing could have been a real monster in a few years

Lol umm yeah,as if being the world record isnt enough

Tnhunter444 12-22-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonlester (Post 2590367)
I was just taking a good look at the pics of the Milo Hanson buck. An awesome buck for sure. But I was noticing, and it may just be the size of the antlers. But it doesn't carry muck mass for it size. It looks to me that my buck from this year had similar mass (of course not nearly as tall or as many points) Anyone know the age of the Hanson buck?

I think I do....Old enough to be the greatest typical Whitetail ever. I think that's quite enough said, myself.:patriot:

Ridge Runner 12-22-2013 04:52 PM

I read 3.5 back around the time it was killed, it never really impressed me, had a lot of inches and was even, but not the mass you would think a record buck should have

skinnnner 12-22-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4110189)
I read 3.5 back around the time it was killed, it never really impressed me, had a lot of inches and was even, but not the mass you would think a record buck should have

Im suprised the antler didnt break off when it went down

Topgun 3006 12-22-2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by skinnnner (Post 4110191)

***It really is a pretty spindly rack for a world record animal and not what I would expect in body size either for a Canadian buck! I like the Jordan buck much more than this one as it is a real stud!

Ridge Runner 12-22-2013 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by skinnnner (Post 4110191)

one of milo's shots clipped a main beam and it was taped in the first pic published
RR

skinnnner 12-22-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4110197)
one of milo's shots clipped a main beam and it was taped in the first pic published
RR

Yup i know.he would have been one unhappy camper if it broke off.b and c wont accept a broken antler.

skinnnner 12-22-2013 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4110194)
***It really is a pretty spindly rack for a world record animal and not what I would expect in body size either for a Canadian buck! I like the Jordan buck much more than this one as it is a real stud!

There are diffrent species of deer in canada.the large ones are the dakota species which this buck is not.just because a buck has a large body doesnt mean it has a large rack and vis versa.i also would think that a world record should be a heavy old buck with plenty of mass but the tape mesure isnt forgiveing and the tine length and symetry is what makes this buck the record.

flags 12-22-2013 09:11 PM

It may not have a lot of mass and it may look kind of spindly, but it is also the world record and no other buck can claim that right now. In the end nothing else really matters does it? Mass is only one factor and in this case the buck carried enough on the other criteria to negate the mass.

Murby 12-22-2013 09:57 PM

When someone claims a big buck like this, are there any controls in place to make sure it was shot in the wild? What if it was farm raised and pumped full of growth hormones..?

Just wondering.. Every competition has the inevitable jackazz who tries to cheat...

flags 12-22-2013 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Murby (Post 4110241)
When someone claims a big buck like this, are there any controls in place to make sure it was shot in the wild? What if it was farm raised and pumped full of growth hormones..?

Just wondering.. Every competition has the inevitable jackazz who tries to cheat...

Really, are you serious? You haven't heard about the Hansen Buck? How long have you been hunting deer? This buck was big news when it was taken. NEWSFLASH! This is the current World Record and is fully vetted by the Boone and Crockett Club and was taken in accordance with the accepted principles of Fair Chase as outlined in the Boone and Crockett guidelines. When this buck was taken, there were several eye witnesses since it was the result of a drive. This buck topped the Jordan buck which stood as the world record for several decades.

This was a 100% free range buck from Sask and that is why it is the accepted world record. It is fully documented. Some people try to sneak a pen raised buck into the Boone and Crockett book but anytime one is going to be in the top 10 for any species they do a full investigation into the animal and the hunt. Any inconsistencies or questionable activities result in disqualification.

There are 2 trophy keeping organizations that are very careful in the way they accept trophies and those are the Boone and Crockett Club and the Pope and Young Club. Neither will accept an animal from a game farm or from behind a high fence. This buck is the real deal.

Ridge Runner 12-23-2013 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by skinnnner (Post 4110198)
Yup i know.he would have been one unhappy camper if it broke off.b and c wont accept a broken antler.

actualy they will if it can be put back on exactly as it was, they won't accept them that come off at the base, because there is no way of knowing if the spread is as it was.
RR

skinnnner 12-23-2013 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4110251)
actualy they will if it can be put back on exactly as it was, they won't accept them that come off at the base, because there is no way of knowing if the spread is as it was.
RR

That could be but still,wouldnt that suck to shoot off the antler of the new world record.

BarnesX.308 12-23-2013 05:53 AM

In all of the hunting shows, they pass on 3.5-4.5 year old bucks. On bucks of tecomate, they would pass on that deer until it was 6.5 years old and shoot a "management" 8-pointer instead.

Topgun 3006 12-23-2013 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308 (Post 4110291)
In all of the hunting shows, they pass on 3.5-4.5 year old bucks. On bucks of tecomate, they would pass on that deer until it was 6.5 years old and shoot a "management" 8-pointer instead.

***If you're talking abut the record Hanson buck, you're full of baloney! David Morris would shoot that world record deer if he saw it in a heartbeat and there would be no "let it grow another year", LOL!

flags 12-23-2013 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4110294)
***If you're talking abut the record Hanson buck, you're full of baloney! David Morris would shoot that world record deer if he saw it in a heartbeat and there would be no "let it grow another year", LOL!

Gotta agree with ya Top. Dave Morris is nothing more than a deer pimp and if he could pop the world record and take credit for it under the "Tecomate System" he wouldn't hesitate to kill that deer since it would equate to millions of dollars for his company.

But, he couldn't claim it as a world record if it came off his ranch. That whole place is high fenced with artificial feed supplements and mineral supplements. That would disqualify it from the Boone and Crockett Record book since the animals don't have a natural avenue of escape.

skinnnner 12-23-2013 07:50 AM

Its been the record for the last 20 years.not bad for a spindly tined buck.

Topgun 3006 12-23-2013 07:55 AM

That could be Flags, but I thought I remembered him saying several times on the show that it was a low fence ranch. Whether it's low or high, he grows some big bucks down there with all the food plots and water sources he has on the place. There are several counties down in south Texas where that ranch is located that grow big deer even on the low fence places with the protein that most of the plants down there contain. The main thing is the fact that there are a lot of big ranches where they can control things even if they have a low fence and it allows good bucks to mature before they're taken. I really miss hunting the brush country down there, as it's been over ten years since my Dad lost the last place he had leased. He died on 9/11/11 just five days short of his
89th birthday and I'll probably never hunt down there again, but it was sure fun while it lasted.