Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

9MM

Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 PM

Default 9MM

why cant a 9MM cleanly kill a deer I mean come on the indians were shooting sticks with a rock on the tip
Old 02-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 9MM

Never used it with deer, but carried it while Archery, just in case a Bear made there presence.
Low and behold a bear showed and arrowed him, then he ran 25 yards and pulled out the 9MM hit him twice and never phased him.
The next week I had a .44mag.
Took a nice 8 pointer in his tracks with the bigger bore, why chance it?!!!?
Ruger super redhawk 10" barrel, iron sights, maybe a scope in the future
Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly it can, with a perfect shot...So can the .22 rimfire, as has been proven by thousands of poachers ( and a few honest folks) over the last 140 years or so..

However, there are dozens of other chamberings that will kill deer more efficiently, with much LESS margin for error than the 9MM..

So what's your point..??..
Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

So what's your point..??..
My guess is that the point of this thread is to see how much crap can be stirred up. All these "why can't I use ??? mini caliber to kill a deer" are pointless.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: musclecarman92

why cant a 9MM cleanly kill a deer I mean come on the indians were shooting sticks with a rock on the tip
Two totaly different types of killing. Arrows are ment to cut through vital organs to induce bleeding. Indians knew that you cut the lung they deflate and bleed. Flint and Obsidian heads are very good at this. In fact Obsidian is sharper than any steel blade.

Bullets kill in the transfer of energy. The bullet flattens to transfer the energy into the animal, creating massive shock. If the bullet passes through the vitals it can be similar to an arrow but does not cut like an arrow is intended to.

So sure a 9MM through the vitals will kill. Its range isn't going to be great but at close range sure.
However, 9MM isn't a very good man stopper. So on something tougher like a deer I wouldn't use it unless I had to. (Like to survive)
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

we have already decided that it can cleanly kill a deer. we have also decided there are much better options.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 PM

Modern ammo has made the 9mm(and every other cart) more effective. It'll kill a deer, sure, but your range is going to be severely limited even using a carbine. Lots better choices out there.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:08 PM

so... is it ok out to 40 yards
Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: musclecarman92

so... is it ok out to 40 yards
NO

Old 02-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Also illegal in many places. In Iowa, handguns can be used during shotgun season, but must be .357 or bigger and at least a 4" barrel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.