Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Stands

Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Homemade Stands

I actually built the tower part for a box I had made as a ground-blind from scrap lumber a few years ago. It was just shy of being 4’x6’. I had ~$170 in the tower part. Used 16’ 4x4’s with ripped 2x6’s for the braces (saved a little money & meet load requirements). After I got the base built, I realized there would be no way short of heavy equipment I’d be able to stand it; with the box bolted to it.
I then decided to build a new box in pieces, similar to a modular home. The front, sides, back (including full sized door), and top were all built separate, framed similar to what you would your house, and veneered.
I borrowed two buddies (you “could” get by with one) one Sat. We stood the base with a 4-wheeler & rope. Two of us were able to pick up the base & move it back into the limbs slightly. I attached the ladder & climbed up top. One guy through pre-cut 2X6’s & I screwed them down (made the floor). Then two of us got on top & pulled the front up with a rope. We screwed it to the floor. Then pulled up the two sides & screwed them to the box front (so the side-backs would “wing”). Pulled the top up next & balanced it on the front & sides (out of the way). Then we pulled up the back (by far the heaviest but manageable). Screwed the sides to the back. Squared everything & screwed each to the floor. The roof was built as a reverse cap. It slipped inside the squared box & the lip was screwed to the frames (from the inside). Then we screwed everything OVERBORE!
I have just less of $400 in the whole thing. That’s counting screws (used over 3lb), siding nails, hinges, roofing material, and all the treated lumber & siding (only thing I had laying around was stuff short enough for ladder rungs). It took me several 2-3hr sessions off & on to build everything. Now I’ve done it & worked out the kinks, it would go much faster. It also took us about 2.5 hours (with breaks) to stand & assemble.
The only problem I ran into was the BIG base. The bottom is close to 12’X10’ (not to mention nearly 16’ tall). I had to borrow a fairly large trailer to transport it. Then had to be careful around telephone/power lines once it was on the trailer (laid flat of course).
I built everything at my house using a table saw, drill, & skill saw. The only tools used in the field were cordless drills (bring plenty of batteries), a hammer (persuading tool), and 2 - 25’ pieces of good rope.
The 4X6 box is big enough for two adults. We hunted once with a friend, my son & me; it got a little tight. I built mine 6.5’ tall in the front. I would recommend that for standing & stretching. It really helps packing a ML also.
If you want to build something similar I can go into more detail & better pics. PM me & I’ll be glad to help.
I think everyone should have something like this. It’s great for taking someone your introducing to hunting. The box helps conceal movement & sound from those that CAN’T sit still. It supplies a good rest for nervous 1st time shooters & you are right beside them coaching the whole way. Plus I was able to keep my son warm on the coldest of days when otherwise I wouldn’t have wanted to take him.
Don’t get me wrong, this is the only stand I have like this. I hunt lots of lock-on’s, ladders, and hop around mostly with my climber. But on days I’ve got a shadow… This can’t be beat.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Mine cost around $450 for a 4'x6'. WORTH EVERY PENNY! I call it my powerline palace. Solid rests all the way around, not scared to move, and shots 340 yds one way, and 450 the other. I cant make a shot like that sitting on a limb! Never had a shot over 350 yds, but I am confident that if big boy steps out at 425, I can make a clean kill. Its hard for me to make a150 yd shot in climbing or ladder stand.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

use scres and lag bolts not nails

Old 02-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Yes, with our propane heater. The stand overlooks a field with 300+ yard shot opportunity. The box offers rifle support."

I am not looking at a 300 yard shot opportunity or to sit inside a propane filled blind....no offense.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya no offense to but the propane in a closed space might kill you
ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

"Yes, with our propane heater. The stand overlooks a field with 300+ yard shot opportunity. The box offers rifle support."

I am not looking at a 300 yard shot opportunity or to sit inside a propane filled blind....no offense.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

some more pictures... please.. i lovem!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 AM

Well, It's not really a closed space (although MANY people cook & heat their house with propane). 3 sides have a 15" full length opening & the back is 1/2 open. There is plenty of fresh air flowing in the box (at head height). The heater also has a "oxygen shut-off" sensor that will turn the heater off if levels are dangerous. It's not really like a sauna, but will keep ones hands warm.

Let's see somemore pictures!

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

i am not getting on you for it
If i get my land i will build some ground blinds
And i have nerve damage from having cancer as a kid
which causes my right hand to go num after 5 to 10 mins of sub freezing temps.
So i will have a heater in them
The problem caused me to stop hunting in the middle of DEC

Yes people heat with propane i have in the past might in the future never know
Home furnace are vented just like with a gas furnace in-fact there the same furnace just jetted for either natural gas or propane.
Thats why if you have say a tent heat it says not to use in a closed space the fumes can and will kill you.
If it has a sensor you should be good. and since it is open
ORIGINAL: Coleridge

Well, It's not really a closed space (although MANY people cook & heat their house with propane). 3 sides have a 15" full length opening & the back is 1/2 open. There is plenty of fresh air flowing in the box (at head height). The heater also has a "oxygen shut-off" sensor that will turn the heater off if levels are dangerous. It's not really like a sauna, but will keep ones hands warm.

Let's see somemore pictures!

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Old 02-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Host of Hosts

Build it and you WILL Fall
Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice stand but did you haveany difficulties getting the young'in up the ladder? When my boys were small the climb up and down was where I was most worried, for once they wereup, they were harnessed in. Just a pic of one of my homemade stands. I've 14 of them up but still also still rotate 3 hang on stands (when ever I have some extra lumber around, Iput up another stand).

Quick Reply: Homemade Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.