Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hopeful hunter

Old 02-03-2008, 10:38 PM

Default hopeful hunter

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum - actually, I'm new to hunting in general. Back home in Vermont, literally everybody else grew up hunting but me. My teacher once asked my class how many of us had rifles at home, and I was the only one not to raise my hand! Now I live in Virginia and I'm looking to learn more about hunting and how I should get started. Can you give me some advice on things I should be considering? Should beginners start with deer hunting, or consider different game? Thanks!

Corey
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hopeful hunter

start off with a hunters safety course.........
BTW , welcome........
Old 02-04-2008, 05:49 AM

im a newb myself, (2 seasons under my belt)

the safety course is a good start but also read read read and try to make connections with guys who are proven hunters.(if you can) visit forums like this one to ask questions and also don't be afraid (the worst they can say is "no!") to ask land owners in your area for permission to hunt and start scouting. more land = more opportunities...

im a late starter myself (im 38 now) but let me tell you, when you see your first deer from your stand (regardless if you get connect or not) you WILL be hooked. good luck
Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome..

The best thing to do is find an experienced hunter to go with.. A safety course is good idea also..
Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on getting started and all of the above is good advice. You might want to consider trying your hand at some small game hunting (along with deer hunting of course). The learning curve is usually pretty steep with deer hunting and you might find yourself getting a little frusterated, especially when you are just learning. Small game like squirrels and rabbit are a little bit easier (for the lack of a better word) and will still teach you many of the skills you will need for deer hunting (marksmanship, woodsmanship, holding still, being quiet, being patient, etc.). Not to mention it is fun hunting and good table fare. Just sometime to think about, good luck!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

something that helped me a lot when i started hunting. (5 years ago) was to sit in the woods and just watch how the deer act. you know what they say, "knowledge is power" online & magazine info is very helpful. It's always good to practiceaccuracy and taking your time.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Spike

Corey welcome to hunting! Someone said hunter saftey course thats a good place to start. Not only will the instuctor talk about safty he willtalk about hunting equipment and the different types. There was someone who said squirrelhunting. There is nothing better than after all the summer activity than getting out in the fall woods and doing some squirrel hunting. You will want to find some oak trees with acorns and have a seat up against a tree trunk. Not only is this a good spot for squirrel's,deer love to eat acorns and one may walk rite in to you. If you have property to hunt and you stick with that propertyyou will be more successful than than if you hunt all over the country. Learn your woods and learn it well. Good luck and Good hunting. Larry
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

welcome to hunting! i'm sure you'll find that it quickly turns from a passion to an obesession like everyone has said, a good place to start is by taking a hunter's safety course in order to allow yourself to learn the ins and outs of safety. Also, I'd say one of your best decisions was joining this site! There are tons of guys on here who can help you out with anything from slecting a weapon to scouting to food preparation! Also, picking up a few hunting magazines here and there and reading through them is probably a good idea (Deer and Deer Hunting). Anyways, best of luck in your new found hobby!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to hunting and also welcome to the site, there is a lot ofinformation on here on hunting and people that can help you. Hunting is a great sport and I hope that you have fun with it. If bowhunting is your thing or if rifle hunting is there is seperate sites that you can get info on.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

What part of Virginia do you live/hunt in?

Quick Reply: hopeful hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.