Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Snow Camo? your opinions please >

Snow Camo? your opinions please

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snow Camo? your opinions please

Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Default Snow Camo? your opinions please

So i had a wild thought this morning droping my kids off at school, and that is how well does snow camo really work? I can see how it would work on the ground, but what about treestand hunters? i swear that i read somewhere that espically tree stand hunters should be wearing snow camo, but when i walk in the woods and look in trees i think snow camo would stand out! Please tell me what you think!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Snow Camo? your opinions please

Look up in the sky during the day. Is it closer to white or is it closer to tree bark in color? Once the leaves are off, I would think snow camo, with a few branches on it, would blend in much better with the tree branches and sky. Each stand would be different, of course. Have someone look at you while you are in a stand site similar to where you will be hunting. Maybe even tree bark pants and snow camo jacket would work best together.

Bob
Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 PM

thats a good point, if its cloudy! on a nice clear sunny day however i think i would be different??
Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

snow camo works great. I wold use it in a tree if I didnt have a solid backdrop like a pine tree. the sky looks more white. Here is one you probably wont believe but I have proven it to be true. If you ever hunt when the snow is hanging on everything the best color I have found is blaze orange! It's like you are invisible to the deer. I will wear total blaze in that situation. gloves hat etc. even facemask.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like it, fun to switch up camo patterns etc...one thing can try, is snow camo bottoms and a normal camo up top for your shirt/jacket, on relatively flat terrain, since your torse/upper body will be amongst the dark trees etc.....and not the snow, and your legs more inthe snow, something to try, might work out better for ya. I like snow camo though, but not all white, I like something that'll breakup your outline.

I've heard deer cannot see red, or very poorly? So why not red camo?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no idea where you guys live, but in my world the sky is blue, not white unless it is mostly cloudy. Usingthat logic we should wear blue clothes in a tree stand? No. Tree stand's are attached to trees, and usually have other trees and branches around them, therefore having something tree-like isthe way to goalthough combining different camo and even non-camo patterns (like plad) is the best option.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I like it, fun to switch up camo patterns etc...one thing can try, is snow camo bottoms and a normal camo up top for your shirt/jacket, on relatively flat terrain, since your torse/upper body will be amongst the dark trees etc.....and not the snow, and your legs more inthe snow, something to try, might work out better for ya. I like snow camo though, but not all white, I like something that'll breakup your outline.

I've heard deer cannot see red, or very poorly? So why not red camo?
to answer your question about red you must understand that deer see mostly in black & white and grey shades. It is believed that red is seen by deer as a very dark shade. Red is fine if your backdrop is dark. The reason I spoke about blaze orange is because we have to wear it in Wis during our rifle season. It is my opinion that the deer must see it as a very light or white color which blends with the snow. Knowing this could help you stalk close to deer in those times where everything is covered with snow.This I know from much first hand experience.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Handles

I have no idea where you guys live, but in my world the sky is blue, not white unless it is mostly cloudy. Usingthat logic we should wear blue clothes in a tree stand? No. Tree stand's are attached to trees, and usually have other trees and branches around them, therefore having something tree-like isthe way to goalthough combining different camo and even non-camo patterns (like plad) is the best option.
The sky is blue but it is also very bright. Deer cannot see color like we do so snow camo with a few branches on it blends in with the sky because the snow camo is bright too.

During WWII, in the Atlantic, they put bright lights on the under sides of airplanes searching for U-boats. The lights, spaced about 3 feet apart, filled dark underside of the plane that was in shadow (this was for daytime use only). I have seen film and the planes with the lights were invisible until they got very close. An identical plane flying in formation with the camouflaged plane was easy to see from miles away. All they were doing is trying to match the brightness of the backgound.

Radar eliminated the need for this type of camo on planes. They could fly a lot lower and straight at subs that the radar located. By the time they were seen by the German lookouts, it was often too late for the submainers. Not too many of them survived the war.

Bob