Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snow Camo????

Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Snow Camo????

Okay seeing as how we have a crap-ton of snow on the ground with no shot of it melting anytime before season close...I went and bought some snow camo...I had a poor experience the other night when I wore it out, I had three does walk up on me and I was in a tree stand about 20' up the doe when it got about 15-20 yds from me, froze and looked right at me, so I froze and we had a little bit of a staring contest which I one because she didn't spook...she just got nervous...my question is snow camo effective from a treestand or should I stick to ground hunting when wearing it...

Oh and the outcome of that hunt is sort of a downer...when the doe started moving again, I drew when her head was behind a tree, whether it was the noise or movement all three deer scattered and left me with a 35 yd shot through a narrow opening in tree's I made sure there were no twigs to block the arrow judged the distance and released...I misjudged and came up with a bunch of fur and little bit of blood..I tried tracking for two days with no signs and the deer looked unharmed after the shot...so...

I made a couple of mistakes...I should have drawn sooner as they were walking in that way I would have been ready to release when the doe stopped...second?? Did the snow camo screw me??? wasn't wind or smell...she tried and couldn't get me, that makes me happy at least...what do you all think?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snow Camo????

I got to test out my snow camo for a week in ND and found that the key there was pre-drawing my bow and holding at full draw. The deer were very skittish and on guardwhen in close but if I could draw when they were 50 yards or more out it wasnt a problem. The deer I hunted were moving from point A to B at a good clip so pre-drawing and holding was NOT a problem.

On the ground I can not count the number of deer that walked by me some as close as 4 yards.. Never once busting me and looking right through me. In a tree, the one tree I hunted while out there, because I pre drawed they detected no movement and all walked by with no suspicion.

I think if they see any movement in late season, they are on pins and needles.. especially if you hunt pressured lands. I hunted here in IDAHO all of December and again could not get away with any drawing late.. I had to draw (ALWAYS in a stand even with unreal background cover) I had to draw early the bitter cold and quiet days especially when any little noize is magnified. On the windy days I could get away with noise but still not ANY movement. I drew on several deer early just to practice. No matter how good your camo is, movement is a killer imo on pressured skittish deer. Obviously if your wind is bad, your likely to get busted when they get in close. Jm2c from doing a ton of late season hunting in snow camo both in Idaho and ND.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your Snow Camo should work from a Treestand. I prefer Fall Gray Predator, light but not white, white. We have very little snow here during season.

Most of the time in Late season it will be noise, or movement that gets you busted. They both are amplified in late season.

If you can at all try to get in an Oak tree or a tree that's holding it's leaves. Camo helps but letting Mother Nature help you in breaking your outline can be the difference between success and failure.

Dan
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks...the first two deer walked by without a second glance and I knew I waited too long to draw..you can bet I'll be drawing sooner if I get another shot.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM

I'll say that it depends on your background but I find that there isn't anything more effective at breaking up your outline as the extreme contrast of snow camo, as long as you're in the snow or have a white background. If your background is all dark you're screwed.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Is your snow camo all white or does it have some contrast too it. I think snow camo is the most effective of all the camo when on the ground in snow.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

See Avatar, it has contrast, and I think it does a great job of blending in to my surroundings especially from the ground...but from a deer looking up, do I look like a huge snowball?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: daveyrock

See Avatar, it has contrast, and I think it does a great job of blending in to my surroundings especially from the ground...but from a deer looking up, do I look like a huge snowball?
your camo is perfect because it looks like your on the edge of a woods. Where as if you are in the middle of a wooded area, i think you are better off sticking to non-snow camo. Maybe take a picture next time your're on your way to ur stand and then it will give u a better idea one what to wear.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Is your snow camo all white or does it have some contrast too it. I think snow camo is the most effective of all the camo when on the ground in snow.

Cool camo goofball

Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skyline camo works as well in the tree as it does on the ground. I love the stuff!