Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Questions about shed hunting!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Questions about shed hunting!

I was just curious as if anyone has any secrets, or spots to look for sheds that are better than others. Such as heavy timber or along fields or where the best spots to look are, i seem to walk alot with little success and my brother seems to find something everytime he goes out in the woods. Thanks for any replies.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Questions about shed hunting!

I know you can find them along fence and creek crossings where the deer have to jump to get across. The jolt of the landing sometimes knocks them off.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Doesn't your bro give you any secrets? A lot of it depends on the country your in. where I live there is a lot of farm country and also river bottom. When I am in the river bottoms I look for mainly bedding areas. In the farm country we sometimes will have up to two hundred deer living in a few tree rows during the winter. They will eat in the feild and bed in the tree rows. So pretty much any where in the tree rows and in between where they are feeding. If you can find a herd like that they are gold mines for the shed hunter.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

IDK i c all these t.v. guys finding sheds from bucks they have seen and passed up but i don't know the secret to finding. I have only found two small 6 point sheds
Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

lots and lots of looking...eyes hurting..headaches

but really for guys in the east usually they find antlers just inside hardwoods and on food plots or areas of lots of food....i, being in the west, just really focus on tails, do lots of walking and lots of looking
Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

You can also try looking on trails where they have to bend down to get under branches and along feeding areas. Just anywhere they shake there heads.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

I find most of my sheds in bedding areas,along rub lines,along prarie trailsand in agriculture feilds where they were trying to find food under snow.I always look for points not the whole antler because it is rare in nature to see sticks and branches taper to a sharp point.If you have a antler throw it a few times in front of you at different distances this will help your eyes adjust.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say shadow your brother for awhile, Then kick his A%* if he doesn't hlp ya!!.. JK. Here in NYS, I look around standing corn fields and hedgerows where there's bedding activity.