Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 SHED HUNTING TODAY- Have Questions. >

SHED HUNTING TODAY- Have Questions.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SHED HUNTING TODAY- Have Questions.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Default SHED HUNTING TODAY- Have Questions.

As I was out this afternoon scouting for the upcoming turkey season I decided to walk through some timber, where I know a lot of deer activity takes place. Any way I saw a ton of the following:

One more...

But no sheds to be found. I basically walked along the travel routes and looked all around the different shredded trees, but no luck. Is that basically how most shed hunt or am I completely lost. I have never really done it before, and am not sure whether there is a strategy or if you just walk and hope you see some. Should I have been in fields?
Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: SHED HUNTING TODAY- Have Questions.

when in doubt, keep looking! lol. look in fields and more heavy traveled runways and in thicket and stuff like that...good luck!
Old 03-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Burn the boot leather, cover every trail you can. Fields, edges, and woods, you find sheds where they fall off. Gotta look in every nook and cranny.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there is one field where the deer are feeding moreI would look in and around it very hard. The deer may not be traveling very far to feed right now. Also if you have any overgrown CRP fields or brushy fields I would check them out too. The bucks like to bed there. I found a matching pair about 60 yds apart last week on a trail in the woods alongside a picked corn field.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those aren't rubs from deer trying to lose their antlers. They are rubs from this lastfall. Looks like an area worth investigating for next season.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

That is the same luck that I have. I find the deer travel routes and find many rubs and well used trails but still I have yet to find a shed. I have been looking for over 5 years and still haven't found one. I look in the fields and throughout the whole woods. And the property is 365 acres and all of the people that hunt it have never found a shed. So I guess that some farms are better than others.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Ive heard a lot of people on different shed hunting posts suggest to search along the edges of fields. Why are the edges more likely for a deer to drop their antlers then in the actual field? I would assume in PA that after the orange army takes their share of the population, the remaining deer are just happy to be alive. This would make sence as to why they like being near the edge of the woods in case they need to take cover, but there has to be another explination.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 PM

Deer are creatures of the edge.There fore field edges are higher percentage spots to look and then branch out into the actual fields.But its not just field edges its any kind of edge or transition point.For instance pine thickets to hardwoods.Or hardwoods to a powerline right of way.The edge of a clear cut is an awesome spot to look especially if the trees are from knee to shoulder height.