Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Actually seen a scrape on Feb 1st......? asked >

Actually seen a scrape on Feb 1st......? asked

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Actually seen a scrape on Feb 1st......? asked

Old 02-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Actually seen a scrape on Feb 1st......? asked

This year in Central MN it has been a drought on snow. This year ranks around 5th least snowiest since records have been kept. I have been putting out piles of corn and soybeans this year instead of my pvc pipe gravity feeders. Realize the deer need to work for there food instead of having them eat close together. CWD scare of course.

This last weekend I actually saw a scrape. Snow cleared and dirt thrown 6 feet back in two lines. Branch hanging above it.

Do you think this is breeding behavior or saying this is my food and territory?

Info on my username- Was in an investment club called buckig. Building Up Cash & Knowledge Invest Group. Club disbanded and I went on my own and came up with Buckmine. Didn't want anyone out to think I was selfish or crude........
Old 02-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Actually seen a scrape on Feb 1st......? asked

If there are does around that haven't been bred....the bucks will keep after it. I doubt many make it this long without being bred, however a couple years ago, on Feb 16th, I saw a buck breeding a doe out in the middle of a field, at 2:00 in the afternoon. That's how we end up with those little 25lb dinks in the fall.

Old 02-05-2003, 12:16 PM

Where abouts are you at Buckmine? I live in Shakopee. Goofy to see a scrape at this time. I went out scouting last weekend and didn't see anything like that. Wouldn't have minded to see a shed or two though. Might be a it early, but what the heck.

"There's nothing better than being out in the woods".
Old 02-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Nick-I've seen scrapes freshened up thru-out the year.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:41 AM

Deer will comunicate all year with scrapes. There are often scrapes that are worked fresh all year. Most of these "Primary" scrapes I find are very close to bedding areas and are often used year after year.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:58 AM

I also seen this before and wondered the same thing as you! I questioned a biologist about it and got the same answer about it as Nick Bales & Rack-attack have stated. The only thing is the one I seen into Feb. was a mock scrape I had started!