Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 why haven't they asked? >

why haven't they asked?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

why haven't they asked?

Old 09-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default why haven't they asked?

There was a point to my "king for a day" topic.....

In reading all the replies (and on another forum as well) it's amazing how many folks have asked for a 6.5MM offering.....many in 6.5-06 or in 6.5-284....a few in 6.5WSM.

Also it's amazing the number of folks wanting to obsolete the RSAUMs and WSMs and WSSMs.

Given this reply by you folks.....who was asked by the big gun makers what you wanted?...Where is their marketing folks?????...Why don't they ask us what we want?????

I just did and it seems that in many cases a good 6.5 offering is sellable.

Strangely enough the stuff they bought us recently is exactly what we don't want.

Do these guys get it?.....I'm very confused......Have any of you been asked what you'd like?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why haven't they asked?

Vapodog

It's all about selling guns , everyone reads all about the latest thing and just have to have one . Sure they never asked but theysure sold a lot of guns that in most cases weren't as good as what they are supposed to replace . It's called marketing
Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sure that ifthe new cartridges don't work for Winchesteror Remington,they'll go back to the drawing boards. Maybe it's too early to tell.

On another note, I'd like to see Win. or Rem. offer a sporter rifle in .338-06 for 2006. Just a wish. Maybe it will sell.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FastShootingCarts

I'm sure that ifthe new cartridges don't work for Winchesteror Remington,they'll go back to the drawing boards. Maybe it's too early to tell.

On another note, I'd like to see Win. or Rem. offer a sporter rifle in .338-06 for 2006. Just a wish. Maybe it will sell.
the .338-06 didn't do much for Weatherby but I agree with you....in a Winchester M-70 this will be a winner. Just the extra "oomph" needed for elk, moose, and the truly big game of the world.

There's a helluvalotta of them being custom built.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes a lot of it is about marketing but I, for one, am gald to see the WSM.s come about. The other two "short mag designs can go away though. As you can see from my post in that thread I don't like the belted cases as they serve no purpose what so ever other than to take up magazine space. I suspect that people don't like the WSM's simply cause the old belted mags that they have numerous rifles chambered in are "tried and true", what ever that means. What if the designers of the belted mags hadn't been lazy and actually designed a case that used all available space that the casing took up? We would have the WSM's and possibly standard length magnums with out the belts.

You also gotta look at past trends. The 6.5mm has never sold good in the states. You got the 260 Remington that doesn't sell, the 264 winchester that doesn't sell, and the 6.5 Sweed that doesn't sell. Why would they introduce another 6.5mm cartridge that isn't going to sell? Sure they are popular with the wildcatters and the hard core reloaders but how many of the general public fit into these two categories? If you do fit inot one of these categories then you can have virtually any chambering that your heart desires.

The fact is the 22's, 243's, 25's, 270's, 7mm's, 30's, and 338's sell in the states, that's it. With the 270, 7mm, and 30's far outselling all of the others.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:16 PM
bigcountry

Because they have tried that with limited success with 6.5-284, 35 Whelen, 338-06. All wonderful calibers. The opinions represented by this forum I think is a far cry from the mass's of hunters. People on here take thier cartridges and shootingmore seriously than most. If remington started loaded all these speciality calibers instead of RUM, WSM's, they would lose a ton.

I myself decided not to post on the other post, as I love the WSM's and RUM's and according to gun sales, the mass's love em too. Maybe its hype, maybe its performance, maybe its just wanting the new whizbang.For a powerful round like the WSM, I have yet to find anything else so easy to reload for. They seem so dynamic in loading.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC...and others...If you've ever taken a class in marketing it's all about knowing the customer and what the customer wants and is willing to buy. Granted that's not always easy and in the firearms business it's even harder because we're such a diverse bunch.

In the company's I have worked for the marketing department goes to the design engineering department and informs the best they can what products the customer wants. Design tries to achieve that and manufacturing tries to build products to match the design requirements. Simple eh?

Of course it's not that simple but then again the theory is still valid. Know thy customer.......

I can assure you that this don't seem to be the case with the latest batch of products dumped on the buying public.

AH well....what ta he[[ do I know.....I'm just miffed that they bought out a pot full of new cartridges and not a single one was a 6.5-06!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:06 PM
bigcountry

Vapor your a reloader like me. You can make 6.5-06 ammo all day long. I would be miffed if not a reloader and desired something like that.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Vapor your a reloader like me. You can make 6.5-06 ammo all day long. I would be miffed if not a reloader and desired something like that.
While I have built and reloaded for wildcats like the .243 superrockchucker, the 6 X 45, and the .204-223 I have tried hard to avoid them. I really want to chamber a gun to a standard round.

Ever decide to sell a gun chambered to a wildcat?????
Old 09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Vapo, that's exactly it. Marketing............

The 6.5mm does not apeal to Joe Average and Joe Average is the majority of people out there shooting and hunting. Joe Average wants a 30 caliber magnum so that's what they bring to the market.

The 6.5 appeals to the few that actually know something about ballistics, sectional densities, terminal performance, etc... etc... Joe average picks up his rifle a few times a year and goes hunting. Heck there are thousands of people that don't even sight in their own guns. We sight in 10 - 75 rifles every week, at $25 per gun plus ammo, at work cause the owner of the firearm either doesn't know how, is too busy, or just ignorant about how a bullet travels through the air. He wouldn't know a 6.5 from a .375.

These are the people that make up the majority of shooters and this group is who the marketing is directed toward.

Quick Reply: why haven't they asked?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.