Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A sad Hunter

Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
AAA
Spike

Default A sad Hunter

It’s that time of year again, applying for out-of-state licenses and tags. I just got through looking at fees, draw odds, bonus point systems and quotas. I’ve have never been more disgusted and disappointed in our game service departments in my whole life. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY it’s all about MONEY!

Let me start by stating I have had the privilege of hunting out-of-state for over 25 years now. I have hunted California, Nevada, Colorado, Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. It has been the activity that binds my father and me so closely together. Anticipation every year about the Fall hunt is almost as enjoyable as the hunt itself. Planning, new gear purchases and telling stories (lies) prior to the years hunt occupy a significant part of my life. Now I’m looking at the prospect of this no longer being possible.

Wyoming, the state I have been hunting most often the last few years, now looks like a
I have a slim chance of drawing in. With the newly, two year old, instituted point system my chances have reduced from a reasonable percentage to a number less than 20%. Why, because tags are issued to individuals with the most point first. The only reason I can see that Game management would use such a system is more money. If they create an environment that require me to pay extra for a bonus point and then only issue tags to the individuals with the most points, I will be forced to pay for points for many years before there is any chance of being drawn. This effectively raises the price of tags and increases revenue without issuing more tags. It’s taxing me in advance just for the chance of getting drawn in the distant future. Now let’s talk about “Special Draws”, the game department takes 40% of the tags and places them in a special draw. Charge an extra $200 to “possibly” increase your draw odds. This only works if less people apply for “Special Draws”. Again it is a scheme to increase revenue without increasing quotas. This only benefits those wealthy enough to afford the extra cost. This scheme is equivalent to telling people that if you pay me extra I’ll let you to the front of the line.

Utah now requires me to buy a hunting license before I can apply for a tag. A license that if I’m not drawn is useless to me. The point system also makes it very unlikely for me to draw for many more years.

Nevada has a similar point system to Wyoming that because I haven’t been able to apply for, prevents me from have any chance of drawing for many, many years. I can’t afford the $100+ license fee required to get a point each year. This effectively eliminates Nevada for me.

I’ve heard all the responses before, move, hunt in your own state, and stop whining it’s the price we pay. I ask why! Why is it OK that just because I don’t live in the state it’s OK to rape me?

Some of you may think of this as just another rant from an “out-of-stater” complaining about being gouged. To some extent you are correct. Mostly it’s the frustration of a FELLOW HUNTER that is coming to the realization that hunting may become a thing of the past for him. In the very near future, either through lack of access or cost, he will not be able to spend time in the woods with friends and family doing what they love most. Why is it OK for fellow hunter to accept and defend a system that prevents his hunting brethren from enjoying the same activities they do?

Enough of my complaining, good luck to you all in this years draws!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A sad Hunter

if you think that is bad, I don't even deer hunt my own land in Illinois because they want me to pay 200 bucks for an out-of-state permit. that really sticks in your craw.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 PM

for us out of stater who go to iowa everywehre it costs $450. when we first started to go it was only $150. they are all the time griping about the deer pop and how they need to get the numbers down adn this and that. so why do the prices of the tags keep goin up
Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

The answer is $$$$$$$ The Midwest states are just now really learning what a cash cow that they have given the rising number of deer and deer hunters. Of course, if they factor in crop damage by too many deer and damage to vehicles and people that hit deer, it likely may not be as lucrative as they think, though.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Simple economics boys. Supply & demand. Demand is HIGH, supply is limited. Therefore its going to cost ya.

Yea sometimes its frustrating, but it is what it is.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see the points system in another light. I think it gives everyone a fair chance to go to Wyoming (for example) and hunt. If it were as simple as just going and buying a license then many people would get beat to the punch by the locals and people that live closer to Wyoming. Each year your chances are greater that you'll draw a tag. When you do draw the tag then it'll be your turn to hunt, and then it'll be your turn to wait and let others do the same. It's like a escolator: When you're getting on, someone else is getting off andwhen you're getting off, someone else is getting on. Think of it that way.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
AAA
Spike

While your escalator analogy sounds correct, I would describe it to be more like a series of toll booths. Pay at each one, or get off the road. And you can’t get to your destination without paying at each and every booth. The worst part about my analogy is they keep adding more booths!

Although my post sounds mostly like a complaint about money, in reality it’s more about the sorrow I’m feeling. I know that I will not be able to participate in hunting with friends and family in the very near future. My father is 70 years old, and although in very good health, has a limited number of years left to hunt. It is also a disappointment of fellow hunters that have attitudes like “hunt your own state, it is what it is, or doesn’t affect me”. This attitude of acceptance of unfair government practices allows government to continue and expand these types of programs. One day it will affect YOU!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM

If it only cost every one 45$ for a elk tag (thats what it cost me as a resident) i would assume thata large amout ofhunters in the country would be applying for the same elktags every year. If this was to happen, you would beLUCKY to draw your 45$ tag every thirty years (IMO). Paying the high prices gives you better odds of drawing a tag by keeping everyone in the country from applying for a tag. Hunting is a expensive lifestyle and you have to pay to play.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM
AAA
Spike

WYO, I understand what you’re saying but you're looking at it from the perspective of a $45 tag that you have fairly high odds of getting. What I’m saddened at is that they have reached a point\cost that will finally eliminate me from hunting. What would your limit be $100, $500, $1000 or $10,000 and have to wait 4, 5, 6 years? Whatever that limit is, when they hit it I’m sure you’ll feel as sad as I do.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM

AAA - I totally agree with you. It sucks a lot that you have to pay just to apply. I can see them requiring a check, but if you don't get drawn, itshouldn't get cashed. They should make it simple and fair: figure out how many tags they're going to allow, and how much money they need, and just charge that much. I can also see a preference point system if you don't get drawn, but it shouldn't cost anything. I would quit applying to those states, go somewhere that has OTC tags or just a straight up draw with no cost to apply. Even if you have to travel farther it's worth it to avoid the bs.

Quick Reply: A sad Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.