Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Iowa or Maryland

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Spike

Default Iowa or Maryland

Hi guys,

I'm hoping I can get a little help from some local experts in Iowa and Maryland. I'm a wildlife biologist currently attempting to decide between two positions located in Iowa and Maryland (Baltimore). Lets assume that the jobs are equal, and that I would be happy with either.

Like most of you, hunting opportunity will significantly impact my decision. Iowa is obviously renowned for its deer hunting quality, but there are some monster deer coming out of the eastern shore of maryland. Deer are my primary focus species, but I love to chase turkeys in the spring and will duck hunt when the conditions are right.

Let me get to the point. How accessible is quality hunting property in thesestates. --Lease rates, landowners willing to exchange work for hunting quality ofrights, public hunting land, etc. My gut is telling me that I should lean towards Iowa, but I'd be really dissapointed to move there only to find out that the vast majority of quality property is leased or controlled by commercial outfitters.

The only additional consideration is thatIm young (late 20's) and single, so I would be interested in someentertainment during non-hunting season. In each state mentioned, what area would you live (remember wildlife biologists don't make any money).

Thanks for the help.

GaHunter

Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Iowa or Maryland

If you choose Iowa, you probably ought to live somewhere near the University of Iowa, where you can "hunt" coeds. Otherwise, the whole state is pretty much just corn and soybean fields. And cows.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Either one would be great, just so long as you don't choose Texas. Because we all know there are only two things that come from Texas! Just kidding, I have never been to Maryland, but I'd say they have some pretty country up there. The problem you are going to run into in Iowa is land prices are going to be higher because there is a lot of good fertile ground that is going to sell for a lot as farm ground.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Lets see here.......

1. The bigger deer are located in Southern Maryland, the eastern shore is more for waterfowl and sitka deer(they do have whitetail though).
2. There is alot of public land all over Maryland, but finding leases/permission is hard.
3. Baltimore/Annapolis is party central!!!
4. I would choose Iowa though.....[:-]
Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I lived in or near Iowa for about ten years and really like the state. Iowa City is an okay college town, but you also have Ames, Des Moines, and Cedar Rapids.
Compared to the east coast, and even some other areas of the midwest, it is very easy to get off the beaten path. I would think that access to private land by landowner permission, purchase, or lease would be much easier in Iowa, at least compared to Maryland. If I was in your shoes, I would take Iowa in a hearbeat.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Also, housing prices in Md right now are through the roof, even away from the city. The average price for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house down here is running around 350,00.....in a bad neiborhood!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Damn, 350K would get you agood house and a nice chunk of hunting ground in lots of places in Iowa.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

Either one would be great, just so long as you don't choose Texas. Because we all know there are only two things that come from Texas!
You'd best be talkin' 'bout big deer and tasty longhorns there, buddy...

Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

FMJ!!!FMJ!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have never been in Maryland so I cannot say for sure. I am a life long Iowan though.

Iowa has the least ammout of public access ground of any state as a percentage of the state. That being said, the population is not huge so the pressure on these areas is not bad particularly mid week or later in seasons.

Most people in Iowa hunt on private ground. I have an in with my cousin who farms a lot of ground. My buddy and his son have an in because of me. My buddy's son's friend has an in because of his father. My sons friends, my brother in law, etc, etc. That is the way most hunting is in Iowa. You know someone. I suspect that, as a wildlife biologist, if you are a personable sort, you will have more places to hunt than you can hunt.

More land is being leased all of the time but it is not a real problem yet. You can still get good access to quality hunting by knocking on doors. Iowa has areas that are considered to be over populated with deer, like where we hunt. In these areas there are antlerless seasons. Land owners are more likely to grant permission during this season. Once you have hunted on a property you are known by the owner and you are more likely to get permission during the antler season the next year.

Hunting in Iowa right now is far better than it has ever been in my life. 50 years ago tags were really limited. Now, anywhere in the state a resident can get at least two tags. One for a gun season and one for the bow seasons. Where I hunt I can hunt every season but only one tag can be for antered deer in one gun season and one bow season. They sell doe tags until they run out, and they do not run out. Even the over populated deer here are big though because of the food they have to eat. The surviving population of deer, after the hunting seasons, doubles by the next season. The average doe here has two fawns because of good nutrition and most doe fawns give birth on their first birthday.

50 years ago there were NO turkeys, no otters,many fewer coyotes and bobcats, and way fewer geese. There were more pheasants and ducks but those are a season to season thing. The only hunting that is really poorer is quail. Quail hunting in Southern Iowa is way off.

Aside from hunting- Housing is much more reasonable in Iowa and we have great public schools if you are a parent. Fishing is what you make of it. A lot of people get into the catfish. Bass fishing can be good on ponds and in state park lakes. There are a lot of avid and casual fishers. If you are a dry fly trout fisherman, then you will not be too happy in Iowa; same if you are a crabber. How happy you are in an area is mostly dependent on your own mental attitude and how well you take advantage of the opportunities an area has instead of grousing about what it does not have.

Last- You are a whole lot closer to Wyoming if you live in Iowa.

Bob

Quick Reply: Iowa or Maryland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.