Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who would shoot?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Default RE: Who would shoot?

I would shoot it, I would break the law

There, i broke the pattern
Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Breaking the law is POACHING, pure and simple! There is no way of sugar coating it, its POACHING!
I have had the opportunity, but I declined! The only reason to shoot it would be for a "trophy," and I could not look at an illegal deer hanging on my wall everyday for the rest of my life!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Of course you knew the correct answer without even asking. But I question part of your initial statement:

he will be bigger next year, do not risk getting in trouble with the law and the club.
To rationalizethis by saying that 1)he'll be bigger and 2)you might get into trouble is to not shoot for all the wrong reasons. Plain and simple, all buck tags were used andit would have been illegal to shoot him. The thought process doesn't need to go any further than that.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Allen Denton

If they only had doe tags left and a 20 inch ten pointer ran by then at 15 yards? My buddy killed 2 bucks earlier in the season and was saving one for the big one. Well last week he shot what he thought was a doe that ended up being a 4 point. That left him with only doe left to kill. The last day of the season he was in his stand and 11 deer took off out of the woods heading right towards him. He could see the big buck near the rear of the pack of deer so at 100 yards he stood up to try and turn the buck towards the guy next ot him. The buck and the rest of the deer ran right at him and past by him at 15 yards. He did not shoot and most of the guys at the club told him that he did good not to shoot. There were ar few that said he should have shot the buck and they would have covered for him. I agree with the way he did it, he will be bigger next year, do not risk getting in trouble with the law and the club.
How far away is he shooting if he can't tell a 4-pt from a doe???

As others have said, anyone who would shoot is a poacher and doesn't deserve to have the privilege of hunting.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

not if you want to remain onour lease next year
Old 01-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

We were hunting a spot that the farmer wanted does killed and he took the shot in the woods behind him. He said he saw the whole deer and then when the deer stopped the head was behind a tree. The deer only weighed 107 and he thought it was a doe. He made a big mistake, the other buck would have been his biggest to date.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not if he doesn't have a tag. He did the right thing.
Hats off to him for making the right decision.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

No he did the right thing
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hell use a semi auto with a 20 or 30 round mag and take them all out. Just kidding - your friend did the right thing.
All he needs to do now is find a godd stand location for next year after some preseason scouting.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt with my dad in ohio and i either would have given my gun to him and had him shoot it or just druled but it would have real hard

Quick Reply: Who would shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.