Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scoring deer

Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default scoring deer

My uncle said if your deer has a split G-2 the one point doesnt count.My uncle is never wrong.He said his taxidermist told him that. So i just want to know if hes right or wrong.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scoring deer

Well it depends if you counting points it is a point. If your talking net score it is a deduction. However most people care more about gross score anyway so in that case it still counts toward the total score.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

In most cases the net score is what counts. Pope And Young doesn't recognize the gross score at all, just the net score. Boone And Crockett does include the gross score but the net score is final! In your case the abnormal point coming off the G2 will not count, its a deduction! Your uncle is correct!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on if you are scoring the rack as a " Typical" or " NonTypical". If you are scoring as a Typical, the nontypical or abnormal point is a deduction. If you are scoring as a nontypical, all abnormal points are measured and put in the abnormal or nontypical catagory, to be added back later to the Net Scoreafter the main frame of the rack has been scored and deducted.