Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Crossbow Controversy

Old 01-18-2002, 03:24 PM

Default The Crossbow Controversy

I have read posts in the past that some do not agree with the use of a crossbo for hunting deer or other animals. This is fine as everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I live in Ohio which is one of few states that permit hunting with a crossbow. I own and hunt with both a crossbow and a compound bow. The argument seems to be that crossbow hunting isn't really bow hunting. Well, an argument can be made that any form of bowhunting with any bows other than a longbow isn't really bowhunting at all.I realize that Pope and Young does not permit entry of kills with a crossbow. Why not? You still have to get the deer close to drop one. I say this, if a crossbow is a distinct advantge over a compound bow, than couldn't one say that a rifle is an advantage over a shotgun? In Ohio only a shotgun can be used. A lead slug that is only effective up to about 125 yards. I have never hunted with a rifle but I have heard of hunters dropping a deer up to 400 yards or more. So, why do we all anaylize our weapons of choice? I say as long as it is a legal weapon it is legitimate hunting. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Hunt hard and hunt safe!
Old 01-18-2002, 03:56 PM

Default RE: The Crossbow Controversy

a croosbow is just as deadly as a compound but its not any easier to bag a deer with.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Spike

Just to add before to many opinions get posted; that whatever your means of harvesting an animal, as long as it is ethical, we should be sticking together as a hunting faternity.

Questions, or comments? Please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old 01-18-2002, 04:26 PM

I have to agree with Datbuck, especially the statement that we have to stick together. My 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:06 PM

Hunting with a crossbow is legal in Miss. BUT! only for those that are handicaped or over the age of 65. At 68, I am eligible, but have not applied. A friend who is handicapped uses a crossbow. He has told me you have to be at within 20 yards to make a accurate shot. The bolt slows quite quickly, and drops very fast. It does not have the capabilities of a regular bow. He used to bow hunt before having a severe auto accident. It really is a poor substitute for a bow and is the only way he can still hunt during bow season.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

i live in ohio oand never had to opportunity
to hunt with a compound bow. i plan on getting one this year and becoming very good with it. for now i hunt with a crossbow because it is legal here. russ otten says his friend hunts with one but has to have deer within 20 yards for a shot. i dont know what he has but my HORTON LEGEND SL will drop a deer at 40 or even 50 yards if the shot is there. i have a scope on this and can keep a grouping of 6 arrows with broadheads at 40 yards close enough to cut fletchings off. it is all a matter of knowing your weapon and your limits.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:27 PM

This is the thing. I am neither for or against crossbows. It doesn't really matter to me because I will never use one. I have heard from people on this board say that a crossbow is DEADLY, then later on they said the EXACT OPPOSITE. I have heard that crossbows can be built to shoot 345 fps. I have heard from others that they only shoot 245 fps. I have heard that they are harder to use than a regular bow because you need to use lots of horizontal space, but with a regular bow you must use lots of vertical space. There have been reports that say they cause a higher loss rate, there are studies that say they cause a lower loss rate. It just doesn't matter to me. As for Pope&Young not excepting them. I can totally see why, they aren't a bow in it's truest form, a true bow doesn't have a stock and trigger.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bozman; check the site excaliburcrossbow.com
They have excellent units which are accurate to 30 yards.

As for crossbow vs longbows vs compounds; they're all bows, with the limitations of bow energy. Different releases, stored energy vs partially stored energy vs arm strength only. If you use any weapon properly, within the law, you're a sportsman.

I haven't shot a deer the past 2 years. Two years ago I had a doe broadside at 20 yds with no doe tag. She looked beautiful bounding off into the bush. This year, with a tag, I wouldn't take a 40 yd broadside shot at another doe. A crossbow gave me a reason to spend many days standing up a tree watching nature. It isn't a cheap and easy way to fill the freezer.

Dan O.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:57 PM

I hunt each year with bow, black powder, and rifle. I see nothing wrong with allowing hunting with a crossbow. Heck, I would use a spear if there was a spear season.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:57 PM

I think Bozman makes a good point.I started out using a recurve shooting with my fingers,then a tab. After that I bought a compound bow used a tab and finally use a release with a trigger and a pendilum sight.
Bow hunting started out as just that bow hunting with a recurve which is what was available at the time.Then along came an improvement the compound bow.Also add all the equipment available,releases,sights,scopes,overdraws,
etc.A big difference from the beginning of using a recurve.The same with hunting with a shotgun or rifle I hunt with both.I started out with a single shot my dad gave me open sights.I now shoot a pump 30-06 with a 3x9 scope even though I don't take shots at 300yds or more it is capable of doing it.
A cross bow is one step up in my opinion from a compound bow just as a compound was a step up from a recurve.The same with a gun.
I just wonder how many hunters who hunt with a compound bow would go back to a recurve by choice.If a cross bow is safe,will harvest a deer as quickly as a compound bow I see no problem with it.As far as record books why not a section for crossbows only.

Quick Reply: The Crossbow Controversy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.