HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/224971-preserve-free-range-hunt-white-tails.html)

MichiganWhitetails74 12-30-2007 09:23 PM

Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

I want to pull out of Michigan and begin taking a (week) in Illinois each year to go for a 130 + White-Tails (Yes, I love Michigan but humor me)

I have dumped some cash on Moose, Caribou & Bear and been successful..

But the whitetails.......I'm not sure of......

For my first 130 + hunt I'm looking at 2 options. I know I want to move forward with free range hunts for trophy white-tails but for my first drop of cash I'm contimplating these 2 options. Please help me here...My gut is telling me get the first monster out of my system and get him on my wall because 3 grand is alot of money. (We're all different but these are "my" feelings)

Option 1) A 3 day guided hunt with shotgun in trophy country (Free Range) Illinois for $3350?

Option 2) A 1000 acre ranch in Michigan 140 - 160 B&Cgauranteed Hunt for $3500?

_Dan 12-30-2007 09:28 PM

RE: Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Sounds like your looking for a kill and not a hunt......if thats the case sit behind the fence. For as many places as you have been hunting, I find that option hard to believe for you. Personally, I'd have a hard time looking at that deer on the wall and being satisfied with it.

But to each his own.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-30-2007 09:34 PM

I agree...My issue is that I've been hunting 20 years and I have 2 120 class bucks on my wall..(142 deer since I started at 12 years old)....I have become impatient...I guess only for the first hunt...If I invest the money I want to put a big boy on the wall. I know til the day I die I'll never return to a ranch regardless of the fence size but for this first one... I'm torn...I guess like you said its to each his own...these are only my thoughts...thanks for the reply...

_Dan 12-30-2007 09:38 PM

Why the pressure to kill a 130"+ buck?

walker12 12-30-2007 09:39 PM

You seem like an accomplished hunter, so what makes you think you can't get out there and bust him on your own? Your hard work will pay off, I guarantee it. I agree with Dan, though. I don't think you would be 100% satisfied with a deer you payed to kill. Good things come to those who wait.

Keep up the good work.

LKNCHOPPERS 12-30-2007 10:08 PM

Well I would say forget the ranch hunt. You are going to get tired of explaining that you shot that deer on a ranch with fences and it will not mean as much to you in the long run. You could get out on quite a few DIY hunts on leased property for that kind of money. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Jasonlester 12-30-2007 10:15 PM

142 deer since I started at 12 years old
Are you saying you've killed 142 deer in 20 years? 7 every year. Seems you've killed plenty of deer. My thoughts are for you to actually wait for a big buck to show up. Spend one season waiting for the big buck. Scout and find some good spots and let the does and lesser bucks walk until you find a big buck.

Personaly I'd rather a free range hunt.

Just my 2 cents worth but I think you need to spend a year or two buck hunting if you want a big boy.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-30-2007 10:30 PM

We practice QDM here in Michigan but usually the farmers boys take a 125 during the youth hunt. And then one of us may take a 125 during the rut.....During preason scouting I have never seen a 130+....I can tell anyone about anything when it comes to the act of taking a deer...I have seen and been under various scenerios....but my hands have never held the horns of a 20 inch deer with 10 inch tines.....Frusterates me considering the knowledge I have when in comes to the actual experience of taking deer....i could write books on what to do....Don't get me wrong...I appreciate and savor every moment and harvest...but this is my life in whitetails for the land I hunt in Michigan......

GregH 12-31-2007 01:05 AM

Do some research and find the counties that hold big deer. Then find a spot. I gave up a spot that I hunted for 20 years after only getting 100" bucks.

Rule #1 - Hunt where they live.

You won't be happy with a "guaranteed" 140" buck.

kevin1 12-31-2007 07:37 AM

Don't forget your camo: