Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails >

Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Come on you really can't be serious, anything guarenteed is not a hunt.

So you get this wall hanger, you going to be proud of your hunting story.

It was a cold morning so cold the guide had trouble unlocking the chain link fence. He then turned to me and said looking for a 140 huh, I think I know where ol ear tagged A42 might be, follow me.He likes to bed down over here especially after we put the sleeping pills in his feed. Let me check the gps to see if the chip implanted in him has been activated yet. Yup he's right in front of us about 100 yards and according to his medication chart he should be able to make it to his feet anytime now get ready. Make sure none of the other genetic freaks we have locked up back here aren't in the way hate to have to charge you twice. Get your safety off don't worry about your shot because he can't go far with out running into the fence.BANG.

GET OUT AND ACTUALLY HUNT FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

New job for you Charlie, a canned hunting outdoor writer.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

My next story is on your rights if your guide tell you it's a 149 and it's really a 155 ,can you get out of the extra fee.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

i am not trophy hunter,i like to hunt just to see if i can kill the nicest bucks on the property i'm on. there may not be a 130 class deer there,but i don't care. i have 6 mounted ,6pt,7pt,3-8pts and a 11pt and i really could care less what any of them score. just enjoy hunting ,all the ' kill a trophy pressure' comes from all those hunting shows you watch and the are just 'killin' not hunting anyway. and make sure you teach your kids to HUNT,not to kill.......

srwshooter,TC&T3,4ME
Old 12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Point Taken!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted all over the United states and Canada. I have shot my biggest Bucks in canada and saw the biggest buck in IOWa. .I want to tell you . Everyones life is so different . This is totally you choice to go on a Preserve hunt. I once was totally against it .But The last few years I have had alot of things happen in my life. It made me realize that life is short do only what makes you happy not some so called professional hunter on TV or any guys who only spend a few hundred dollars on Public land hunts .I have hunted alot of Public land and spent alot of time and money going all over public land hunting .When you spend a ton of time in the woods and you have some hunter bust a big buck away from you. And then your season is over .Well after all the time away from family and your JOb . No Deer. The key to having a good hunt in a preserve if doing plenty of research on the outfitter. There are some preserve hunts that are not near fair chase and then there are some that are as hard as public land deer. These are the ones you want to hunt at. Just because the outfitter is well known doesnt mean his hunt is good. I have spent several thousand dollars going on fair chase hunts and you will get a very bad hunt eventually and then even spend $4000 and come home with nothing. I have went on hunts to Canada with guys who spend $3000 on the hunt and $600 on airline tickets and spent around another $1000 on License and spending money traveling and go home with nothing. Untill you have done this dont say you want be proud of a deer you shot at a preserve. I would rather go hunt a preserve anyday than spend $5000 and have nothing to show for it. Fair chase is something most hunters dont even practice any more. Food plots in the winter months , only food source for miles ,Trail cameras 24/7 in the woods , no deer then move it and find some deer while your sleeping . The real meaning of Fair chase is not practiced anymore. See we dont know what each day will bring us . So enjoy every opertunity you get hunting . YOu might get sick an no able to get in the woods. I watched a guy who booked a hunt at a preserve while fighting Cancer. He was so happy even having treatments just waiting to go on his hunt. We finally made it and he shot a !40 to 150 inch buck .He was the happiest he has even been . He passed away 2 days after his hunt. His wife said that hunt kept him going knowing he was going to get that buck he always wanted. We should all support all type of hunting .If we dont our grandchildren will not be able to hunt. So good luck on your decision do what ever makes you happy .YOu will be proud of a buck from a preserve. .You will also see bucks there you will never see in the wild. 200 plus inches
Old 12-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you got your answer here.

I'll add that I've hunted 25 years on the same 360 acres - I've taken over 50 deer, and had never taken a buck over 100" until this year. I guess as much as I like big bucks, I cannot even convince myself to leave my own property to hunt deer!

FH
Old 12-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want to go to a guided hunt or a large fenced area to hunt then go ahead and enjoy it and kill a biggun. I've thought about it, but havn't yet, but if I wanted to I definitely would..
Old 12-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: teejarrardjr

I have hunted all over the United states and Canada. I have shot my biggest Bucks in canada and saw the biggest buck in IOWa. .I want to tell you . Everyones life is so different . This is totally you choice to go on a Preserve hunt. I once was totally against it .But The last few years I have had alot of things happen in my life. It made me realize that life is short do only what makes you happy not some so called professional hunter on TV or any guys who only spend a few hundred dollars on Public land hunts .I have hunted alot of Public land and spent alot of time and money going all over public land hunting .When you spend a ton of time in the woods and you have some hunter bust a big buck away from you. And then your season is over .Well after all the time away from family and your JOb . No Deer. The key to having a good hunt in a preserve if doing plenty of research on the outfitter. There are some preserve hunts that are not near fair chase and then there are some that are as hard as public land deer. These are the ones you want to hunt at. Just because the outfitter is well known doesnt mean his hunt is good. I have spent several thousand dollars going on fair chase hunts and you will get a very bad hunt eventually and then even spend $4000 and come home with nothing. I have went on hunts to Canada with guys who spend $3000 on the hunt and $600 on airline tickets and spent around another $1000 on License and spending money traveling and go home with nothing. Untill you have done this dont say you want be proud of a deer you shot at a preserve. I would rather go hunt a preserve anyday than spend $5000 and have nothing to show for it. Fair chase is something most hunters dont even practice any more. Food plots in the winter months , only food source for miles ,Trail cameras 24/7 in the woods , no deer then move it and find some deer while your sleeping . The real meaning of Fair chase is not practiced anymore. See we dont know what each day will bring us . So enjoy every opertunity you get hunting . YOu might get sick an no able to get in the woods. I watched a guy who booked a hunt at a preserve while fighting Cancer. He was so happy even having treatments just waiting to go on his hunt. We finally made it and he shot a !40 to 150 inch buck .He was the happiest he has even been . He passed away 2 days after his hunt. His wife said that hunt kept him going knowing he was going to get that buck he always wanted. We should all support all type of hunting .If we dont our grandchildren will not be able to hunt. So good luck on your decision do what ever makes you happy .YOu will be proud of a buck from a preserve. .You will also see bucks there you will never see in the wild. 200 plus inches
Read thisand then decide,only you can make the decision on what is right for you.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

If you are looking for a big buck and you are in the $3500 range come to South Texas. I have yet to take a buck (I am also from Michigan), but you should be able to line up either a nice free range hunt down here or a fenced ranch 4000 acres + to accomidate you. Contact Texas Trophy Hunters and see what info they can provide to you.

Jake

Quick Reply: Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.