Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails >

Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Old 12-31-2007, 07:52 AM

Default RE: Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

ORIGINAL: GregH

Do some research and find the counties that hold big deer. Then find a spot. I gave up a spot that I hunted for 20 years after only getting 100" bucks.

Rule #1 - Hunt where they live.

You won't be happy with a "guaranteed" 140" buck.
And thats gospel.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting a hell of a lot longer than 20 years. I haven't harvested a deer yet that I'd consider mounting and hanging on my wall, and I've got a few that some would be proud to mount. But thats just me....I'd go the free range route. I don't like fenced in hunting, don't think guys that pay to hunt fenced areasare much of a hunter. But again, thats just me. You could find a nice one at a garage or estate sale for probably cheaper if your wanting a wall hanger, thats not me either. But remember, It's called hunting not killing.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

You might have to try somewhere else other than Mich. to get a chance at that wall hanger.I know we have some in this state, but Mich. has the largest amount of hunters in the country. Maybe look at Iowa, Montana, Northeastern Wyoming. We go to Wy. for Mule Deer and do it our self, No Outfitter. Sure it's harder to get thatBig boy but it can be done. A freind of mine took a 10 pt.150 class whitetail in Iowa this Oct. Bowhunting, no guide. After he shot it he saw a bigger 12 point that would make the books, They met a landowner out there that lets them hunt his property, no charge. I'm sure they must give him something, I know I would. I'm at the same point in my life as to wanting to get that Buck of a lifetime, but I just can't see myself paying big $$$ for it. If I ever did I would go to Canada on a guided hunt.I passed up a lot of small bucks this year and never took anything. I heard they took a 135 class buck in my back yard this year, well close to my property I live on, I don't hunt it, I like to see Deer in my yard. And my wife won't let me hunt here anyway..LOL.. Good Luck and keep hunting.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

You have got to be kidding me. There isn't a choice here if you are truly a sportsman. I think your quest for a 130 class buck has clouded your judgment. I want to be kind here and others may not but I would suggest you sit down and really think about what you are asking. Are you looking for an excuse to go on a canned hunt? I doubt that you will find many here that will give a green light for that shortcut. A mount on the wall is nothing but a bunch of plastic with a deer hide and antlers attached which should give continuous remembrance of a great time in a sportsman’s hunting life. If you are looking for a shortcut just buy areproduction mount to impress your friends and go with something much larger since that would amount to the same thing. The only one you really need to impress is yourself and how could you do that knowing you shot a deer that had no chance to survive. I hope you find the wisdom to not do something you will be ashamed of in the future.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

This thread sure makes me appreciate living in Iowa. For the price of a non-resident tag, there areplenty ofpublic areas where you wouldstand a fairly good chance at seeing a 130"+ buck during the rutif you are patient enough not to pull the trigger on the first deer that walks by.
I alsohave to agreethat hunting for a "guaranteed" fenced-introphy buck wouldn'tprovide much of a feeling of accomplishment. If they can guarantee you will shoot a deer, that means you need no hunting skills whatsoever. You are just buying a pen raised deer to shoot. Not much different than just buying an existingmount off e-bay imho.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something just doesn't sound right here.

Like others have said it sounds like a kill not a hunt.
I guess your reasons for hunting and mine are totally different.
I don't need to ask your question and would never consider a fenced hunt.

You certainly have the right to hunt whatever way you feel is best to achieve your goal.
It's just that our goals are totally different.

Go kill that big buck that is pulling at your heart strings. Once that is completed, go "hunting" again.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I have to agree with pretty much all of the above. Threads like this make me glad i live in Illinois. I would never consider paying $3000 plus to hunt Whitetails, "guaranteed" or not. Anyways, i am sure you can purchase a 130 class deer already mounted for that kind of money, saves you the energy of having to actually hunt.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Come to AB Canada. Share the expense and see big deer but killing one is another thing lol.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Do some research and find the counties that hold big deer. Then find a spot. I gave up a spot that I hunted for 20 years after only getting 100" bucks.

Rule #1 - Hunt where they live.

You won't be happy with a "guaranteed" 140" buck.
Well said!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me tell you a true story-
My dad, like you, has taken around 150 bucks in his lifetime.He started hunting QDM clubs about 15 years ago. He
has huntedalotof QDM clubsin north Florida, southern Geogia, andSE Alabama. He LOVES deer hunting and he truly eats,sleeps, and breathes deer hunting. This is the guy who will gladly build extravagant food plots and house stands everywhere on our clubs and private land.

He has mounted 9 or 10 bucks in the past that were good bucks for the area, but not true monsters (100-115). One day he said he was done mounting deer until he killed a 120+ buck. He was contemplating dropping thereally expensive QDM club he wasin to just hunt with me and my brother in a local club(non-QDM managed)we all are in. He wanted to kill a non-fenced monster buck forever, but would never settle for a pen buck.

He has been in the club for 6 years without killing a great buck in there, and this past Saturday he killed a 15 point non-typical that is going to go way over 120, probably more like 135! It is a true, non-fenced, giant north Florida buckthat weighed around 200 lbs and is going to age at least4.5 yrs old. Split brow tines and 5 inch bases withmassivelythick horns.

If you keep non-fenced huntingareasknown forlarge bucks with a QDM program your day will come also. It took my old man 30+ years of deer hunting!

Quick Reply: Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.