Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CAN'T find my buck UPDATE:

Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: CAN'T find my buck

My guess is you hit him above the spine, just stunning him for a while. Once he regained his cordination....GONE. Unless infection gets him, I bet he doesn't die.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

no i didn't hit above the spine, i think i caught one lung, im probly gion out here in a litlle bit, u think there is any chance of a dog still getting on the old trail? Im shooting TC shockwaves, 250 grain, with 150 grain of powder and he was only about 10 yards away
i think that he is dead considering the amount of damage done to it.

welp im heading out
Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

He's dead. go back to where you last found blood and watch for buzzards in a tree or as you walk around they will all take off if you get close to them. I can't image the buck going much farther. I would think a chest shot would have done him in. I shot this buck with a 300mag, left a huge hole, blood everywhere and he still ran 100 yards. I was real suprised.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/texas8point/rusty1.jpg
Old 12-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds more likely the shot was further back than you thought it was, a high forward gut shot.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 PM

I hit onemore then5 years ago with an arrow it looked good but wasn't I spent the next 7 days looking for it and at times talked up to 5 buddies to help grid search .He wasn't dead within 3 miles or I would have found him ,I still lose sleep about it but I tell my self he had to of lived or I wouldn't have been able to stop looking .I fell for you buddy but If you look hard and long you will be able to sleep from all the searching and walking from dark to dark.Good luck anddo all you can and it will make you fell a little better.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

well guys i hate to say this but the search is off!! [] i never wanted this to happen i think you all know that. i went back out to day but we ahd a dusting of snow that melted n washed any sign of blood away i steped off that i tracked him 835 yards. i still can't get over that he fell and i was only 10 feet from him at 1 point he was about a 140" 10 i think he will make it i hope at least. i no the shot was high i think mayb high and a small amount back. This is the 1 st one i have lost n wow wat a sucky feeling i think i'l have a leason learned here. ALWAYS RELOAD ASAP. but thanks for all your help really appristated it!!!!!

just really bummed about it all MY BIGGEST DEER I AHVE EVER SHOT IS GONE!!!

CHAD
Old 01-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess what troubles me the most is: your pretty sure you have put a bullet into a lung of a deer that you were able to blood track for less than 100 yards, a trophy no less[ although THAT shouldn't matter }, and less than 48 hours after shooting this deer, while it was moving, your giving up!

IMHO, Get back out there until you have exhausted all options.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Be looking for buzzards for sure.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:44 AM

iwould look some more buckey he might have doubled back on you try getting a few of your buddies and spread out 10 yards apart and do almost 180degree passes i have had good luck doing this
Old 01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

me n a couple of buddies went out yesterday and saw buzzards but there were other gut piles out there we found a chunck of meat about 300 yds. away from last blood n a small drop of blood at a state road and looked on the other side but the distance he would ahve went up to there would ahve been about 1 mile with out laying down i just think he is goin to make it SOME HOW????

Quick Reply: CAN'T find my buck UPDATE:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.