Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dressing deer in the COLD

Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dressing deer in the COLD

My buddy and I switch off during all seasons. Usually I dress the first couple. Happens to always work out its a little warmer during early archery. He'll do the next couple. It's usually colder then. By the time late archery comes in he's tired of hunting. So for some reason I usually don't have to dress them when it's colder. hehehe
Old 12-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Spike

take off the coat and roll up the sleeves i always put my vest back on so i don't get shot at .get er done
Old 12-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

The heat of the animal over which you are bending will keep you warm while field dressing it.
Like as has already been said, it's the hands that suffer when you get done. If there's snow, I use that; otherwise just use leaves or ferns, and then get the gloves back on. They can be washed later.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just dive in and get it done as quickly as possible. Once inside things aren't bad its getting to that point were she gets nippy. Washing blood off here isn't usually a problem as snow is usually available when its cold to wash up while its still fresh. I then get the hands in some wool gloves and warm them up. If snow isn't available I also have h20 and some sort of rags in my truck.

I actually find examination glovesuseful when the temp is extremely cold as always found my fingers sticking to the steel on my knives. I usethe same as(no powder/non latex) EMS and police use in the field they are much more durable then the ones you find at the drugstore or wally world. Also makes clean up a snap!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

The cold doesn't bother me as much as dressing them in the dark. Shot one tonight at last light, and it was the one time I forgot to throw the flashlights in the truck. What made me mad though was that after I got home and unloaded my stuff, I found my "HeadLight" in my bag.

I was prepared, I just didn't know it.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've I am alone, then I just jump right in there. Only takes a few minutes if you've done them before. I have used surgical gluvoes, Bare Hands, the brown cotton jjersey gloves. By 6 pair for $4 and change them out if you need to. I don't usually have much problr. Even whern below zero. Just jeep with it a pace yourself and you will get it done..... Or drag it to a barn with a 4wheeler, hang it and gut it right away. If it's cold out and not gut shot that will work also, I did my 2nd field dress of the year on an 8ponter about 175lbs dressed and I had him done in the field in 10-15 minutes. Just don't hold back. git r done. then be eating some filet at least!!! !Always cut off at least one backstrap for the celebratory dinner....lol
Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what you would call cold weather, but I hunt in Northern Wisconsin in Late November. It can get cold, but usually it's in the 20's or 30's, which I consider balmy up there. For the last number of probably 20 odd years, I just use the long plastic gloves that just about go up to your armpits with a rubber band that secures them around my orange shirt. Once in a while you will poke a hole in one, but not that much blood gets on your hands. If so, 50% of the time, I have snow to wash it off, if not, I always put either paper towels or toilet paper in my back pack.

The deer does warm your hands up also, but then again, I haven't hunted in 0 or below weather for a long, long time.