Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cold weather hunting and dressing to shoot >

Cold weather hunting and dressing to shoot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cold weather hunting and dressing to shoot

Old 11-24-2007, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cold weather hunting and dressing to shoot

With the colder weather now in place most everywhere how do you dress to keep warm but allowing mobility on a tree stand and with the ability to draw a bow in awkward positionsat the same time. When I layerup with clothsit bulks me up taking away my ability to move on a tree stand with confidence that I won't mis-step, got heavy boots on too you know and draw at awkward positions. So, I end up not putting a lot on and endup cold in short time usually aboutan hour and a half after sunrise. So how do you handle this?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cold weather hunting and dressing to shoot

2 years ago I bought a Heater Body Suite and have never been cold in it. On the coldest day I hunted in it about 10*, I wore clothes I would normally wear if it were 50*. Go to their web site and check it out. I was in need of new cold weather clothing we I got mine so the price was about the same as a pair of bibs and a coat.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Site Buck Guru

I've got boots and clothes that allow me to last 2 hours in the cold. So I just hunt the first 2 hours in the morning and the last 2 in the evening. I got one early so I didn't get to wear the suit you gave me!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I've found this time of year to be difficult also. My experience with having dealt with the cold while skiing has helped a lot with hunting though. Its a bit different though since skiing is very physical and hunting, especially froma stand is not. The key is to wear high performance clothing. Thin layers that insulate very well and are flexible also. Cold Gear by underarmor is by far one of the best first layers you can put on, folowed by anything made of polypropylene, which can be layered up accordingly. Put on some nice fleece maybe with a wind stopper barrier in it and I'm usually good. Unfortunately some of this crap is pricey, but well worth it.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Sitting for long periods in the cold is miserable. I have to agree with Greg though on the time frame. I can sit about two hours, maybe three if there is no wind and the temp is not too bad.

My feet and hands tend to get cold first. For this issue I carry heat packs, and put one in each boot not too long after I get there. Right under the flat part of the foot is best for me, and I lace my boots loosley.

I have also found that coverall-style camo is best for cold. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer bibs and a coat for mobility and certainly at work, but the coveralls (particularly if a little baggy in the waist - this isn't a fashion show afterall) can be heated with a hand warmer also. Since your top and bottom are connected, a heat pack stuck in your belt will help generate some good upper body warmth as well.

I also use something called a bow bra. Yes a bra. Look this ain't no fashion show, and by the way, sometimes I wear my wifes panty hose which I cut off at the knees to keep my feet from blistering on a long hike. Anyway, the bow bra keeps the heavy clothes from getting caught in the bow string when you shoot. I got mine at a deer and turkey classic some 20 years ago, but I'm sure somebody still makes them.

Cold weather hunting for me is a lot like exercise, they both suck, but look at the beauty and enjoyment you get from life having stuck it out.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I layer up.Smart woollong underwear, then fleece pants and shirt over that. Then I have a down vest I put on, and then old school Walls blizzard proof coveralls. I can usually easily last a few hours in the single digits. Lacrosse ice king pac boots my feet have yet to get cold. Of course a muff and a few heat packs.
My mobility is a littleconfined but still able to make a shot.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I got one early so I didn't get to wear the suit you gave me!
Doggone Greg, that suit hasn't had blood on it in 20 yearsAbout the time I out grew it
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keeping your feet, hands and head warm is the first step. I have 1400 gram rubber boots for my feet. Pair of Underarmour gloves and a muff with hand warmers for my hands. UA hood with a with an insulated facemask for my head.

As far as the clothing. IMO I find better mobility with less layers underneath and a heavier outer jacket. I have the cold weather system parka and bibs by red head for the outer shell. I wear ONE set of baselayers (top and bottom) under that and I'm warm as can be. You have more mobility with your body if you're not all bottled up with 5 layers of clothing. I go with the biggest, heaviest, arctic proof outer shell and go very light underneath that. Along with keeping the extremities warm and you're good to go.

Or just whack one within the first half hour and you dont' have to worry about it[8D]
Old 11-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Or just whack one within the first half hour and you dont' have to worry about it[8D]
I did that once, I put on the heaviest stuff I owned, trudged to my stand feeling like the Michelin Man and shot a deer immediately! I was still steaming. I didn't mind though!
Old 11-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have discoverd PolarTec clothes.

Ihunted from 1:30 PM until dark in 27(and colder) degree weather here.

PolarTec Expedition weight
PolarTec Heavy weight Garmit
BurBur Fleece pants and Jacket
Smart Wool Socks
Light camo shell on the outside.

In colder weather i have a polarTec vest I am adding. When Buckeye gets back I am adding some more sitka gear to my mix. Sitka 90% suit is awesome. I am adding the vest, mountain pants and shirt.

Quick Reply: Cold weather hunting and dressing to shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.