Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
From two inch spike to megadeer.....Do you have >

From two inch spike to megadeer.....Do you have

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

From two inch spike to megadeer.....Do you have

Old 01-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default From two inch spike to megadeer.....Do you have

any stories that have small antlered deer turning into nice deeer when they mature?

At the MN deer classic an owner brings in his live deer that have Boone and Crocket racks. He has the racks from when the deer were a 1 1/2 and they are relatively small forked rack. Do you know of a story?
Old 01-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: From two inch spike to megadeer.....Do you have

I dont know of any specific story but its a known fact, Ive read some research on it a while back. And if you think about it, it seems logical. Not all fawns are born at the same time, I've seen pictures of deer with spots in November. So it seems obvious that a buck born at the right time would only have time to develop spikes and then in the following years move on up to trophy class.

WWW.HABITATHEROES.COM
Old 01-29-2003, 12:05 PM

Pa Game Commission did a nice piece here promoting point restrictions. They start off by showing the average rack on deer harvested in PA then they show the differences you will see with each extra year the animal lives. All racks shown where from animals harvested off of public land. The most common deer harvested was 1.5 year old.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just go done rereading an article in North American Hunter last night about this very subject. "Should We Shoot Spikes" It states that Of the WILD deer (444 yearlings) that were caught that had spikes or three points usually grew 8 point racks their second year. 4 - 7 pointers usually grew 9 point racks their second year. 8 - 9 pointers usually grew 10 points their second year. These are all yearlings. And even better, there was virtually no difference in size of racks by their third year of age. The study also found that the percentage of small bucks increased considerably during very dry years. It seems that water has a big impact on antler growth. This test was done by the Institute of White Tailed Deer Management and Research in Texas.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:56 AM

well,i havent experienced this first hand,but the small baskets everyone in my group passed eventually turned into a 175 3/8" typical rack. The same baskets i saw this year will turn into him one day. we saw a 160 class that looked exactly like him so we knew the 175 passed on the genes. He's gonna be B&C this year too. :-)

slayer
Old 02-01-2003, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The majority of 2" spike deer are late born. They have put everything they have into developing their body, and don't have much left to put towards antler growth. There is no way anyone can know what he may or maynot amount to. The only way to know, is to let him go. He may be a booner, just waiting to flourish.