Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

243 winchester

Old 12-21-2007, 12:43 PM

Default 243 winchester

I am thinking very hard about geting a new 243 for whitetale hunting and was wondering your opion on the caliber,and how does it perform on deer...thanx cj
Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 243 winchester

my brother is 13, has had it since he was 8
hes killed 4 deer (3 dropped in tracks, and died instantly)
adn he has never lost one
but placement is everything, if you can handle a bigger caliber i would use a bigger gun just for the extra knockdown power
Old 12-21-2007, 01:22 PM

me and my dad use a 243win i have dropped about 4 deer in there tracks. we use ours for runing dogs and for steal hunting also. we have killed a couple of deer at 200 yards both steal/ runing dogs this year
Old 12-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

With good 100 gr. bullets, the .243 will take any Whitetail on the planet! Knockdown is a myth, just like "brush busters." If a bullet actually knocked a deer down, the recoil would knock the shooter down and a 12 ga. slug will deflect just as a .22 will!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

no, there is a such thing as knockdown power, way more shock enters that deers body with a bigger caliber, adn with a bigger bullet they should expand more, giving you more margin for error
but you still cant shoot through trees, using a bigger caliber you still have to shoot as if its a small one, youre right there is no "brush buster"
Old 12-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

.243 is my favorite caliber, Ive killed tons of deer with it. Its fast, flat shooting, light recoiling, super accurate, and hits with authority.
There is no such thing as knock down power, and bigger bullets dont offer any more shock value, shock value or temporary wound cavity, or cavitation come from velocity. A bigger bullet traveling faster or even the same speed will definately cause more shock, but a bigger slower bullet will not.
Theres an article in one of our Texas magzines, the authors #1 wounding caliber he has seen here, is the 7 mag. I will try to find the article, he states bullet selection is much more important than caliber size. Put the wrong bullet in a big caliber and it will peirce a deer leaving a tiny hole, put a good controlled expanding bullet in a smaller caliber and it will lay the smack down on a deer leaving a big wound channel.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 PM

also what is the best load for deer...
Old 12-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

.243 is my favorite caliber, Ive killed tons of deer with it. Its fast, flat shooting, light recoiling, super accurate, and hits with authority.
There is no such thing as knock down power, and bigger bullets dont offer any more shock value, shock value or temporary wound cavity, or cavitation come from velocity. A bigger bullet traveling faster or even the same speed will definately cause more shock, but a bigger slower bullet will not.
Theres an article in one of our Texas magzines, the authors #1 wounding caliber he has seen here, is the 7 mag. I will try to find the article, he states bullet selection is much more important than caliber size. Put the wrong bullet in a big caliber and it will peirce a deer leaving a tiny hole, put a good controlled expanding bullet in a smaller caliber and it will lay the smack down on a deer leaving a big wound channel.

well i meant like that with the faster bullet, with them having more grains of powder
i didnt mean like a bigger bullet size, such as a 30-30, big bullet, very slow

sorry i misspoke
Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using a Browning .243 A-bolt Hunter for the past 3 years now and I haven't lost a Deer yet!Like most stated "Shot Placement" has a lot to do with it and it doesn't have near the recoil as say a .308 or 30-06 Rifle.I use the Hornady "Custom" 100 grain bullets ($25.00 a box) with a matte black Leupold 3 X 9 X 40mm Rifleman scope with Millet scope rings.The 8-Point Buck I shot this past season only ran about 35 yards and dropped over backwards...but I did shoot it broadside through the heart!

It is also great for target practicing and I have shot a few coyotes with it also.My Daughter shot a nice Doe last year with her Rossi single shot .243 and the Remington shells only cost about $14.00 a box.

I have been shooting a Remington model 742 automatic 30-06 for the past 25 + years and I can't brag enough about my Browning .243,it is the plain wood stock but it is one beautiful looking Rifle!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

With a 243, there is less margin for error than other guns....I always recommend 260 Rem to ladied and younger guys....the cool thing about a 260 is the 120 grain Vmax is awesome for yotes and chucks and the 140 grain bullets are deadly on deer....

Quick Reply: 243 winchester

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.