Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Worst Morning of Hunting

Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Worst Morning of Hunting

This morning, I was in the stand at 6:30, waiting on the sun. Perfect weather, and when the sun started to come above the pines, it was gorgeous. Then it hit me.

Last night's Mexican dinner came from the pits of hell. There was no "toughing it out", if you know what I mean. I waited as long as I could, and at about 7:15, I made the painful (literally) decision to go do my business. I left the field and walked about 500 yards up the logging road and made the deposit.

I thought it was over, and was hoping to maybe get lucky and go back to the stand and salvage what was left of the morning. Got settled in, and about 15 minutes later... it hit me again. So, I angrily left the stand again. I was so fed up at the end of round two, I just hopped in my truck and drove up the road back to the house.

I'm sure it's happened toa lot of people, but I really can't get over the disappointment of this morning. I can't help but feel like a complete moron. With that, I hunted again tonight, didn't see anything, which has been the case for about a month. I think I'm actually getting burned out this season, and I hate it. I look forward to the season every year, but lately hunting has turned into more of a chore than a hobby.

In everyday life I have a very bad problem with patience, i.e. traffic, Christmas shopping lines, and so on. I truly think that God is trying to teach me a lesson in patience. Until I learn to relax and take things for what they are, I really don't think that I am going to have a successful hunt. I know I'm getting off-topic from the original post subject, but I just need to vent, I reckon.

Now it's 11:30pm, and I am going to get up in six hours and do it all over again. Why? Because it's a huge passion for me. However, I still find myself being unusually lethargic about the morning hunt. I am usually excited and pumped up about hunting, but it's not happening right now. I won't stop hunting due to a slow season, because that's not what a true sportsman would do, but not seeing a deer for four weeks on what is usually a hugely-productive property is surprisingly taking its toll on me. But, like a lot of things in life; no pain, no gain.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Worst Morning of Hunting

Look at it this way, you could have not made it down out of the tree.............
Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

Take a 5 gallon bucket with some kitchen trash bags and put it in your blind or under your tree. Put the bag around the top just like a regular garb. can, do your thing then tie up the bag and put the lid on the bucket. Oh yeah, take bag with you when you leave, otherwise you'll have a special treat at the end of the season!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

3 words....irritable bowel syndrome. It's like eating mexican every night, I've started hunting out of ladder stands more since it's easier to get out of then my climbers. Even with medications and changes in my diet I'm not 100% safe.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 AM

What part of Georgia are you in? The deer have been out of wack all year because of this 100 year drought. I live on Lake Lanier and it's down over 20 feet right now. [&o]
Old 12-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i had "iritable bowel syndrome" i think i would take a laxitive the night before my hunt so i would be cleansed out before the long sit.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you haven't seen a deer in a month, think about trying something different. How about a different location? How about still hunting, provided you are rifle hunting (probably tough to still hunt with a bow, right?). How about duck hunting?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 AM

I feel your pain. It takes such an effort to get up and get out there early in the morning, then to have it messed up like that. It has happened to me a lot. I don't have any good solution to offer. I've started hunting almost exclusively on the ground, especially in the morning, for a number of reasons including the problem you described. Ambushing a deer from an elevated position is a great way to hunt, but it's not the only way.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Sureisaniceskimask

What part of Georgia are you in? The deer have been out of wack all year because of this 100 year drought. I live on Lake Lanier and it's down over 20 feet right now. [&o]

I hunt in Hartwell, but live in Gwinnett. We've had a really rough time in the past month. Early season was great, but it's flat out terrible now. We have been seeing a few midday, so I'm going to sleep in one day next week and go to the stand at 12:00pm, and stay till about 3. Nothing at all in the mornings/evenings. I just fished at Lanier two weeks ago, and it's pretty low. How are the deer acting there?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walker..listen man, you are not alone. Do these things and get back on track....SLEEP in, head out around noon to get on stand. Do not force yourself to get up and be exhausted. That alone will take alot of the pleasure out of hunting. Before you go in, put a big smile on your face. Drink a big cup of coffee or soda a couple hours before. Bring a relaxing book in with you to read. It will help you reflect and enjoy yourself. Breathe in the air every once in awhile through your nose, it will help you remember why you are out there. Take care and have fun!

Quick Reply: Worst Morning of Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.