Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting help

Old 12-15-2007, 12:12 PM

Default deer hunting help

This is my 3rd year hunting deer and i still havent harvested one. I live in Ohio. Tomorrow is the last day of gun season. There is snow on the ground and it is snowing. I really need to get a deer. I need advice an hunting this late and what to do. Should i use calls? should i hunt in fields? by creeks? or in valleys in woods? Any help is appreciated and I NEED ADVICE
here is a link to my house and hunting land
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...Lat=39.4203120

Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer hunting help

Well if you know where they are feeding or have been the last few days and where they are bedding, i would set up on the travel route inbetween at some type of funnel, using the wind in your favor and not bumping them from the bedding area.....
Old 12-15-2007, 05:59 PM

i dont really know where they are feedinf and bedding though......
Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM

well it seems like you may need to do some scouting, and be better prepared next season.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

First I must ask you where you are hunting? Are you using the wind to your advantage? Are being very still? Are you being very quite? Are you as sent free as possible? Are you hidden? Are you hunting where the deer are?I'm not trying to be a smart alec, just wanting to know exactly what are your techniques.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Spike

I hunt in Ohio (knox county) and am having the same problem. I've had several opportunites but haven't harvested anything. I know we just got this big storm so hopefully the deer will be bedded down during the storm and get up today to eat. I would look for thick brush and bedding areas, depending on the time of the day. Usually early morning and evening are when the deer are most active. Also, if you arent getting much from your stand, go follow those snow tracks, it makes things much easier. If you don't have luck with that, get in your stand and see if you could get a buddy to walk up a funnel and bump some deer your way. I post up in a funnel and with a pusher I see around 10 doe and the occasional buck. Good Luck
Old 12-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

say a couple of prayers for a safe hunt, the oppertunity to be with the wild this season, and a humane harvest. Hey it can't hurt.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 AM

well im going out in a little bit. ihad no luck this morning i was freeezing because my feet wet. i got out there and i poured out some corn and tons of tracks and eating corn maybe luck tonight. i will pray
Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 AM

im hunting near a fence line i sit against a cedar tree (when i misse a deer i was against the tree to it was brodaside and it didnt see me) there are rubs and droppings all over. i use scent killer on my clothes and dont move at all therea are trails all over i call and use moon fire scent wicks
should i use calls this late in the season????????
if so wat calls?
i have 3 can calls and a grunt call

Old 12-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Go buy a bag of corn, put it where you think they are feeding and make sure you use scent control...

Then cross your fingergs and put your time in...

Good luck.

Quick Reply: deer hunting help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.