Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting help

Old 12-16-2007, 04:53 PM

Default RE: deer hunting help

should i use calls this late in the season?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Spike

I'd like to also know if you should call this late in the season. I know their is such thing as a second rut going on right about now. Don't know how responsive bucks are to grunts and doe bleats, or anything compared to the first rut. I know Primos has a can call they advertise as good in "late season" hunting.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:13 PM

i know man i dont know whether just to sit there and wait or use calls??????
What calls if any calls should i use in this late season?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't teach deer huntiing. Go out there and learn for yourself. Kinda scary I don't think I would like to be hunting with you sounds like your a little desprite and would have a happy trigger finger. To everyone in Ohio watch out.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 PM

stabnslab WI i dont really apprecite that at all. I have been hunting for three years this is my actual second year hunitng because my 1st year i just went with my dad. the first deer i ever took a shot at i missed and it was 40 yards with the worst slugs you can buy (i didnt know that at the time) Remington sluggers and i was using my smoothbore barrel. the deer was also walking fast and walking sideways and downhill. i rushed the shot. im not trying to make excuses but you dont need to jump to conclusions and tell ohio to watch out for me ok. I just had a few questions whether i should use calls this late in the season and what calls to use. Done Deal all i needed was an answer not your 2 sense worth about what kind of hunter i am when you dont even know me
Old 12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your right I don't know you and I'm sure you don't know other people on this site either so my two cents worth is the same as your two cents. Relax and dont get so offended about everything.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldnt call too much this late a little grunting and a can bleat or two evry 20 minutes wont hurt....you really need to spend some time looking for sign.....runways, bedding etc....after season find their bedding areas, walk the runs out to where they are feeding, pay attention to the terrain, plants, fields, water, etc.....that is part of hunting!!!

Good Luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

The second rut should be close to happening now.I would do a little calling and maybe a little rattling. It's all a learning process. Try a doe in heat can. Just not too much. Can your dad help you out in any way? If he is or was a hunter he could be your best resource. Find ways to get to your spot that don't spook deer either by smell or sound. Play the wind, be patient, and maybe you'll be successful. Good luck to you and keep us informed.

Spudrow from Mo

Old 12-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stabnslab_WI

Your right I don't know you and I'm sure you don't know other people on this site either so my two cents worth is the same as your two cents. Relax and dont get so offended about everything.
stabnslab_WI.....Let me cut to the chase. Your comment was out of line.mb11 has a right to be offended.

Your two cents ain't worth a damn!

And yes, of course you can teach deer hunting, which was another of your comments I thought was out of line.
We all learn a lot about deer hunting, whether by actually being in the woods, by reading from knowledgable writers and even from imput received by veteran hunters on this web-site.That's all part of the teaching/learning process.

mb11, my advice(was) to spend as much time in the woodsthis lastday.
To me, it's always an exciting but sad time to see the last day finally arrive.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

"I really need to get a deer" is not a good statement to hear. This is the type of attitude that will lead to a hunter shooting at a deer, no matter what the range, angle or shot situation. Remember, you'd really like to get a deer, you don't NEED to get a deer. Relax, don't pressure yourself, and most of all, don't force a bad shot just at the hope of lucking out and getting that first deer. I know its too late at the time I am posting for this year's season, but take the advice of these posts. Study the area and the deer in it next spring, summer and fall. see where they tend to go for feeding and bedding, and the route to get there. then make yourself as ready as possible for them as far as accuracy, scent control, shot placement knowledge, and luring techniques. This is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. Don't go out there Needing anything.

Quick Reply: deer hunting help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.