Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Binoculars

Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Spike

Default Binoculars

I've been looking at some new binoculars and was checking out the Nikon Monarchs. What's your opinion on spending a lot of extra money for binoculars? Is it worth it? Or does a cheap pair usually suit you just fine. I have a very cheap pair and have trouble spotting any deer. I was hoping a good pair of binoculars might help in spot and stalking efforts to find the bedded down deer. Thanks
Old 12-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Binoculars

Depends on the type of hunting you do. I can go a season where I use my binosso much and not pick up my rifle. I feel the the binos are the most used than any other of your hunting gear. Buy the best you can afford. I use Swaroski.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Spike

Also just wanted to mention. I live in Ohio, so it's shotgun and bow hunting, maybe a muzzleloader, if that makes any difference.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:39 PM

if thats the case, i would spend the money on your binocs. i tend to spend more money in optics cuz thats the most important thing in my book. esp. here in montana. i usually am takin 300 to 500 yard shots and i need something good to look threw and very clear. i got a good pair of nikons and i love em. very clear. if i was you, i would def. get a good pair of binocs. it should help you out.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have bushnell perma-focus.....they are cheap and work great because everything is always in focus.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned a dozen cheap binos, and I got exactly what I paid for. Three years ago, I broke down and bought a set of Zeiss Conquest 12x45 binos and will never be without a good set of binos again.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a pair of the Nikon Monarchs 8x40(old model).....best $$$ I have ever spent. I use them alot and they do a great job for me.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

8x Monarchs are good and IMO about the best value in their range. The 10x's though show the weak point of the optics, the image quality is nothing like the 8x. If your wanting to get 10 x in this price range take a boo at Alpen Shatsa Ridge's.

Iagree with retrieverman. For years I settled for mid range bins, yes they worked but the amount of time I spend looking through them I always found things I didn't like about every pair I have owned. I finally broke down and bought Swaro EL's....WOW sums it up. Sure they costa lotmore butadding up all the bins I have bought over the years I would have savedmoney bystarting out with top end in the first place! I know usage plays a part but if you plan on using your bins a lot for scouting, field judging, etc then I say don't skimp and start looking above what you can without having some buyer's remorse...lol.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The phrase "you get what you pay for" was made for optics. I cant think of one other product groupthat fits it so well.