Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New England Deer Hunting

Old 12-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default New England Deer Hunting

Dear New Englanders,

I am about to graduate from college and am considering a job opportunity in New England. I'd probably live near bulington, vt but travel extensively through Maine, New Hampshire, and upstate NY. I'm an avid whitetail and turkey hunter, and these recreational activities will play a huge role in my decision. I've lived in the south all my life and am very unfamiliar with northern deer hunting. I know the seasons will be shorter, the deer will be bigger (at least body size), and thats about it. With that said, I'd love to have some comments from some New England Hunters as to the actual facts about hunting up north. Fill free to say anything you like, but I'm especially interested in:

[ul][*]Public land quality of hunting[*]Private land accessability and costs...i've heard there's not that much leasing up there. Would a southern boy stand a chance at gettinga local farmer/landowner to let him hunt?[*]Hunting pressure?[*]Do you have a decent amount of mature (3.5+) bucks, and what would a typical mature buck score -- B&C[*]Sunday hunting -- I know its and issue in some new england states.[*]Turkey population info[/ul]
These are just a few things i'm interested in. Please feel free to add anything else that might be relevent. Also, please include where you are from?

Ga Hunter
Old 12-12-2007, 07:24 PM

Default RE: New England Deer Hunting

HEY GAHUNTER

I am from franklin county vermont just north of burlington. As far as public land any state park can be hunted on but there will be alot of hunting pressure opening weekend. If you want to hunt on a farm or wooded area start asking and offer to help out during the summer that is how i got most of my hunting spots. Their are plenty of mature bucks but you probably wont find many that score over 130" we are in our 3rd year of antler retstrictions so they are getting bigger. You won't find many deer around burlington so plan on traveling a little ways. sunday hunting is not an issue in vermont. The turkey population is exploding right now as not a lot of people hunt them.
let me know if you have more questions.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Spike

Northernedge,

Thanks for the reply...in your opinion, is the lack of bucks over 130 an age, habitat, or genetics issue?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:59 PM

age and habitat. We have some nice size bucks but most people shoot the first thing that walks buy so all the 1.5 to 2.5 year old bucks are getting shot. There are good genetics no doubt about that we saw 6 yearling spike horns with 16 inch spikes and 12 inch spreads so in a couple of years they will be monsters.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't speak for VT, but NH hunting will be very different from what you are use to, first of all we have snow! Actually this year in mid/upper NH we had snow on the ground every weekend.

I have a cousin who lives in the burlington area and he deer hunts there, bucks only and with the antler restrictions (I believe its no spikes allowed). In the area he hunts he does see deer consistently, but in two years there he has yet to shoot a deer. Turkeys are all around and I will be heading up there this spring to call for him since he's never turkey hunted.

As for size of deer, New England doesn't typcially care about antler score, we go by body weight more often. a 130 B&C buck is VERY big and will get notice. We have very few if any that actually would qualify for B&C. However, our big deer will field dress over 200 lbs. Several are taken every year that go over 220 lbs dressed weight.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your deer hunting will slow down... turkey hunting is great here in MA. I can't speak for VT, but it is hard to obtain permission on high quality private land here in MA. It takes time and the development of good relationships.
The state land is great hunting if you put your time in and aren't afraid to put some miles on hiking up in and farther than the other hunters.
Body size is generally good. Antler size varies depending on the area.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer hunting in the North East is a lot different then hunting down south. I lived in Va. for 12 years and hunted there. The way I see it is we don't have as maney deer up here as there are down there but we have some real nice quility deer. Hunting pressure is what it is. Private land is not hard to get at all in fact the law in most Mass. towns is if its not posted you are allowed to hunt it. But if your looking for good numbers and quility deer I suggest you look at NE Ct. I know private land is awful hard to get but its there if you work for it keep knocking on doors you will get a lot of no's but when you get that one yes and hunt you will see what I mean. Some of the biggest Bucks I have taken in 40 years of deer hunting have been most recently and from Ct. Now Maine and Vt. have some huge animals but ytu have to be willing to put a lot of time in and not get fustrated at the lack of legal deer. If you decide to take that job in Vt. and are interested in Ct. Ma or Me Pm me I can't give you a place to hunt but we can discuss this in more length. Mike
Old 12-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Banned

GA Hunter,

I live just north of Burlington ( BTV ) in the Champlain Islands. Hunting will be different here than what you're used to, but probably for the better. Consider the fact that within about 5hrs drive you can hunt not only VT but Up state NY, NH and Maine. You are also within striking distance of Anti-Costi ( Island at the mouth of the St.Lawerance River in the prov. of Quebec.

The Turkey population is outstanding around here. I actually think of turkeys as a nusisance anymore because of all the pics I get of them on my trail cams. Gets expensive taking 24 pics of turkeys on my old film cams.

Sunday hunting is allowed in VT, NY and NH, not in Maine.

Have you ever hunted in the snow? Tracking deer in the snow is my absolute favorite way to hunt, bar none.

Lot's of waterfowl hunting ( Ducks, Canadian and Snow Geese ), decent Partridge hunting as well.

We also have some good fishing up this way. Salmon, Walleye, both small and large mouth bass. Perch and smelt thru the ice in the winter.

PM me for more details, and good luck with your decision.

Regards, VTGAO
Old 12-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I too live in the Champlain Islands and have hunted Vermont, NY, NH and Maine. Not much in the way of shooting house over food plot type hunting in the northern states. Best results are by still hunting large tracts of land in the snow. My camp is in the northern region of Vt and hunter activity on state lands is minimal. Stay away from the population centers and you will have good luck getting permission to hunt private land. The turkey hunting is just incredible with probably some of the best hunting in the US here in Vermont. They are everywhere and many farmers do consider them pests so getting permission is usually easy for the birds. Good luck and Burlington is a great city right on Lake Champlain which has great fishing. Quality of life right here in the Green Mountain State.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 PM

Some of the best public hunt i have done is at south hero state park. It is not to far from burlington and doesn't get alot of hunting pressure. If you are looking for big fat deer you will find them in vermont. If you do move up this way PM and i will show you some good public areas and try and get you on some private land. Are you dedicated to living in burlington? You can get some decent houses with land if you go out in the woods more.

Quick Reply: New England Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.