Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I shot and missed; would he be back next year? >

I shot and missed; would he be back next year?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I shot and missed; would he be back next year?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I shot and missed; would he be back next year?

I don't think that noises (misses) scare deer nearly as much as getting a big snort of your smell.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: neofelis

Last Novemeber I took a shot at a buck from treestand and narrowly missed. (Of course, the buck got the scare of his life and immediately took off) My question is: next year, would he be still around in the area? Would he not have moved out entirely of the area? If he doesn't, would it be okay (or wise) to hang the treestand on the same spot or close? Please do elucidite.....
Impossible to tell for sure. A buddy of mine years ago killed a buck from the same treestand that he missed (wounded actually) the prior day.

It makes sense to say he would at least not travel that same area/trail right away but not sure I could say he's gone for good.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: Lubricious

I doubt you could ever scare one off for more than a day or so.
Bingo... Buddy of mine wounded a 10 point. It was back at his stand the next weekend.
Agree. The buck Iarrowed this season was harvested within 50 yards of where he had just beenarrowed but not killed 10 days prior by my BIL. And I had just spotted him in the exactsame area 4 days before I got him. You'd be more likely to run him off by letting him see you as a humanthan by shooting at him unnoticed.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely he could be back. He probably didn't go far anyway. He may have returned that night!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:32 PM

I killed a buck a few years ago within 10 yards of where a buddy had wounded it 4 days prior.. It will be back!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Beezer

I popped a shot off at a mature doe about 3pm one afternoon from my blind.....and missed. Next afternoon she came back about 4:30. Only thing was, when she came back she more cautious, looked and peeked a lot more and knew what the blind looks like with the window unzipped. They'll still come back, they'll just be a lot more aware.
I'm not calling you out, but how do you know it was the same doe?

Short answer- yes the buck was probably back there that night and he will stay in that area if it is his core area.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:49 PM

My friend actually stucka deer earlier this year but made a bad shot on him. We sat in the stands the very next morning and he cameby again. He had a little limp to him but he still came back by.