Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good slug gun?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Good slug gun?

ORIGINAL: ihunt1975

Lots of Remington fans out there. I'll suggest a Mossberg 835 with a Simmons scope shooting a Winchester BRI 1oz sabot slug. Tight groups and awesome knockdown power. It forever changed my mind about slug accuracy. IF its 150 yards or less,its going in the back of my truck.
You know, thats what I shoot also (Old Style)and with Win BRI....I also shoot BRN A-5 W/Hastings Rifled Barrel and Fed's Bri Style. The reason I mentioned the 870 Combo to him is the Cost!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Salty, I just finished gathering my stuff and loaded the truck. Then I stuck a ruler in the snow. 3.5 inches. I think I'm good for tomorow and maybe Friday.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Another vote for the H&R Deluxe Slugster in 20 or 12 gauge.

Reasons why it is better than the pumps (Remington 870)
1) More accurate (a tack driver)
2) shorter action (no pump action which leads to a significant length in the gun overall)
3) integrated scope mount
4) less recoil (it is heavier)
5) less expensive
6) less cleaning necessary (it is a break open with a hammer)
7) in some respects more safe (if you don't cock the single action hammer you are real safe)
8) better fit and finish then most pumps - "feels" like a better gun

only negative is if you are going to do a lot of walking... It is a pretty heavy gun, although the sling fits better on it then most pumps.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salty444

I hunt in the southern zone of NY which allows rifle for deer. there is an area here that has 7,000 acres which is shotgun only and I would like to know what make/model shotgun is good for slugs? I am not up on my shotgun info and need a crash cours on which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. I checked out gunbroker and saw a benelli autoloader but seemed very pricy. Any advice is helpful. I would like a 12 gauge over a 20.
This one......

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2417536
Old 12-06-2007, 09:49 AM

If you want a slug gun only Savage makes a bolt action one that is supposed to be very accurate. It's very similar to the one Browning used to make a-bolt.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

IMHO the brand or style of gun is irrelevant as long as it is a quality piece. Whatever gun you choose, go with a rifled barrel with sabots, and you can often double your effective range over a smooth bore barrel with traditional slugs. Try a few different brands of sabots and go with the one that give you the tightest groups. A red-dot sight is a huge plus as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

IMHO the brand or style of gun is irrelevant as long as it is a quality piece. Whatever gun you choose, go with a rifled barrel with sabots, and you can often double your effective range over a smooth bore barrel with traditional slugs. Try a few different brands of sabots and go with the one that give you the tightest groups. A red-dot sight is a huge plus as well.
I agree with everything he said. I have one for sale.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2417536

Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tody_PSE

If you want a slug gun only Savage makes a bolt action one that is supposed to be very accurate. It's very similar to the one Browning used to make a-bolt.
I have been looking for a browning A-bolt shotgun forever... I think that would be an awesome gun.

But that will be expensive... For the money you can't beat the H&R, I have taken deer comfortably out to 150 yards with mine.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

For the money you cannot beat a mossberg 695 bolt action shotgun. I've got one and I can hit a 3"x5" card at 50, 100, and 110 yards with every shot. I haven't gone further but I know that his gun with a lightfield hybred sabot slug is a tack driver.

I got mine with a leupold VXII 1-4x20 scope for $150.00 three years ago at a pawn shop. If you can find these guns then I would suggest that you buy them.

They won't let you down.

Paul
Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 AM

There is a difference between something that will work, and what would work best. The 870, 500 and H&R's will all work and will work well for the money. But there are better. If money is no object get a tarhunt or look for a used browning bolt action.

After that I would look at the Savage bolt action, or if you want a pump look at the Browning BPS line with a rifled cantilever barrel. That Encore looks pretty decent as well. These guns come with better barrels that have faster twist rates and might work better with the newer ammo choices. They will also have better triggers in most cases. You will probably be looking at almost twice the money as your average slug set up though.

Ithaca's are nice guns as well.

Paul

Quick Reply: Good slug gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.