Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good slug gun?

Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Good slug gun?

I hunt in the southern zone of NY which allows rifle for deer. there is an area here that has 7,000 acres which is shotgun only and I would like to know what make/model shotgun is good for slugs? I am not up on my shotgun info and need a crash cours on which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. I checked out gunbroker and saw a benelli autoloader but seemed very pricy. Any advice is helpful. I would like a 12 gauge over a 20.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Good slug gun?

I would have to say the Remington 870 12ga. has to be one of the best, especially for the money. My longest shot with mine is 92 yards with just using the bead. So, you could shoot further probably if you had a good scope and the right slug with no problem. I have the longer smooth bore barrel on mine with a sniper choke tube. I heard the rifle barrel is very good also but never shot through one before.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:43 PM

I've used the Remington 870 in 12 gauge and the Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge and both are good guns. Prior to this year I had been using the 870 with the 28" smooth bore barrel, a 3x9 scope and Breneke slugs with moderate success. Beyond 50 yds it wasn't all that accurate and I decided to move to the 20" fully rifled barrel and the Remington Core-Lokt Ultra 385gr. slugs. Sighting in at 50 yds I had consistent groups of3 shots within an inch of each other and out to 100 the numbers changed slightly with the grouping being closer to 2". Though I've not pulled the trigger on a deer with the new slugs I'm confident that the gun and rifled barrel combination will significantly improve my chances of the first shot being fatal.

If you are looking strictly for a slug gun...check out the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. It's a heavy barrel, fully rifled single-shot slug gun. From what I've been told they run around $250.00 (with a scope) and are incredibly accurate.

Truth be told gun and ammunition manufactures have spent a lot of time and money improving slugs and slug barrels over the last ten years and the advances in equipment are pretty damned impressive. I wouldn't trade my 870 with the new barrel for anything now that its dialed in.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM

Salty
I bought a Remington 870 W/Bushnell Banner? scope in September. I just got to shoot itthis past weekend for the first time. I was shooting Remington premiumcopper solids. After a fewshots at at the50 yard benchI went to the 100yard bench. Before long[ ten- $3.50[>:] shots altogether]the holes were touching dead center.TomorrowI'm going to take it for a walk on one of the farms. Hopefully some of this snow will still be around.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM

I just started hunting. My first gun was a rilfe for deer in 30.06. I found the there was a lot more area to hunt with shotgun. I bought a used 11-87 sps for about 400 at Cabelas. Itw as in great shape and came witha 26 inch barrel. Before this season started I bought a cantilever barrel for it and a leupold vx1 2x7x33 shotgun/ML scope. I took it to the range. The first time I ever fired slugs and had them touching at a 100 yards with remmington premium copper solids in 3 inch. Took it hunting a few times. Nothing to shoot but I was confident and I can use it for waterfowl at other times.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

ccpahunter, most if not all of our snow is gone in the hudson valley. more in the castskills right now though. I hear ya about that 3.50 per shot....
Old 12-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Spike

If you want an auto-loader I would suggest a Remington 11-87 Sportsman deer gun. Pair it with a Leupold 2x7 shotgun scope and a good sabot round and you should be deadly from 100 yards+.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_11-87/model_11-87_sportsman_deer.asp
Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the Remingtion 870 you won't be disappointed.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

can the 11-87 change barrels for turkey?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Ithaca 37 deer slayer is one of the few that the scope mounts to the receiver which can be inherently more accurate than a cantilever mount like on the Remington’s. It has a rifled barrel, is a pump and is pretty light to carry. Up to 150 yard accuracy with premium sabot slugs is common. I shoot the 2 ¾” Winchester 385 gr gold partitions and they fly great and hit like a sledgehammer.
For turkey I like Benelli SBE autoloader.

Quick Reply: Good slug gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.