Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rubs/ How mature?

Old 01-24-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Rubs/ How mature?

How mature do you think this buck is? Sorry for asking so many questions lately ,but I am trying to pattern these deer before next season

Edited by - Hunter501 on 01/24/2003 17:26:00
Old 01-24-2003, 04:31 PM

Default RE: Rubs/ How mature?

also, what kind of tree/brush are those?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:59 PM

Judging by the size of the trees, He's more than likely a young 'un. And I don't know what area You're from, but those trees look like young maples from My area here in PA.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:41 AM

Some of you have seen these, so if they are duplicate, I apologize....

Here is a nice rub with a decent little buck on his way to check it out...then a spike actually doing the rubbing. I had pics of him hitting it on different days and he was the only one. None of the otehr bucks touche it?!? I doubt he made the original, but the old saying big rub, big deer goes right out the door with these pics. The tree is about forearm size.

Jim

Visit me on the Web...
http://www.huntinginga.com
Old 01-25-2003, 01:54 PM

Its so hard to tell with rubs...I have read and heard that there are really different types of rubs. Like the one in the scoutcam shot, where first you see the 6 or 8 point looking and then see the spike rubbing...its like a community rub.

These rubs your seeing could have been done by a 12pt for all any of us know. I think that this old saying...big rub big deer is true. But I don't think that little rubs mean little dear. So if you can find a big rub somewhere in the general vicinity of those smaller ones..I think you could be on to something.

Hey, I've got a question...do you think those scoutcams scare the heck out of a deer or what?

Check us out at: http://www.outdoor-expeditions.com/forums
brand new site.

-dave
Old 01-25-2003, 02:45 PM

No problems with the deer. I have too many and others have too many pics of the deer standing around or walking up and putting their noses to them. I have sat in the stand and watched the cam take pics of deer before. Heck I pulled a roll of film one day that had 24 pics of the same 2 deer feeding under an oak (forgot the delay setting:0)) I can say that we probably leave too much scent in an area when hanging them. So that is something we can control and do better with.

Here is another one where a little lady is posing for me.

Jim

Visit me on the Web...
http://www.huntinginga.com
Old 01-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

It's hard to tell because I have seen some big bucks rub little trees but I have never seen a young buck rub a big tree, so unless you have a game camera or see footprints I think it is hard to tell