Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mature does Where are they????? >

Mature does Where are they?????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mature does Where are they?????

Old 09-18-2003, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Mature does Where are they?????

I never seen so many new born deer just out of spots before here in S.E. Pa. Last night I seen 3 sets of twins no momma with them. Seen one yearling ,no momma. two buttons also. This morning I seen 11 deer in a hay field fedding .8 midgets only 3 mature does. Whats up with this. None of the deer I seen last night I would not even consider shooting.They were like 60 lbs and dumb as a head of cabbage. They kept walking around me at 20 yards.They saw me and kept coming closer,run away and then come back and bleat. Heck I was wearing red jogging pants and shirt sitting on a garden tractor.
I rode over to another field and did see 3 buck way back in the corner around dark.2 of them were 140 class. But good grief cant shoot my x-bow 200 yards when bow season arrives. BACK to the question where are all the Mommas that gave birth to all these newborns ???????? Over the past 55 years I hardly ever seen deer just out of there spots wondering around without Momma. I understand the buttons get kicked out of the herd,but I' m puzzled about the mature doe. Either someone is poaching them or they are very unlucky on the highway. What do you think????
Old 09-18-2003, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mature does Where are they?????

To be honest with you Bob, I am seeing something similar. Though I am not seeing as many fawns as you I am also not seeing many does in general. This seems to be a " buck" year.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hopefully Bob they are just hanging back in the woods lettin the lil ones run around. I' d hate to think they' ve been poached and even worse, road kill. Mature doe are like mature bucks, they' re around, just wily....
Old 09-18-2003, 07:30 AM

I think they have come South of the Broder. I haven' t seen a shooting buck yet. I have seen a good share of does on the farm behind me. So I think all of your mature does have come South to visit their kin.
B
Old 09-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am seeing plenty of does and bucks and, believe it or not, the fawns around here are still in spots. I saw 26 deer in the same field Saturday evening and the eight fawns were all spotted. Two were smaller than my Lab. Of course the little ones were the only ones that close enough to shoot at!
Old 09-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guess what? Went back to the same spot tonight (1 week later) and all of the fawns have lost their spots! Wouldn' t have believed it if I hadn' t seen it myself. Did see four mature does...had one at ten yards but the weather is a little warm and I wasn' t sure the check-in station would be open and my meat processor might not be back from vacation and I still have venison in the freezer and I just didn' t feel like messing with it tonight. Enjoyed myself to the max by seeing 13 deer. Plenty of time to fill the freezer
Old 09-27-2003, 09:32 PM

I' d hate to think they' ve been poached and even worse, road kill.
Unless a family is starving and the providers are doing the best they can, I don' t think anything could be worse than poaching...
Old 09-28-2003, 05:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Havn' t seen a buck yet but usually don' t untill late Oct. Only captured one with the game trail camera and it was a one antlered spike, everything else was does and little ones with no spots and one hunter.