Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Odds in minnesota?

Old 01-24-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Odds in minnesota?

Ive planed a trip in the fall to see friends in Babbit mn. I would like to do some hunting while im there for deer.Has anyone hunted there or know anything about hunting in mn.? If anyone can tell me if I should bother let me know. Thank You.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:30 AM
lcc

Default RE: Odds in minnesota?

I live in MN but have not hunted right around Babbit. I have hunted in an area I believe is a little to the south of there. Alot of woody cover and smaller scattered farmsteads. The last couple of years have been good for the deer population in that not alot of snow cover or severe cold. A few years ago they did have a very bad winter kill but the deer have seemed to recover from it. When I hunted that area I used 30-30 due to the amount of brush you are forced to hunt. The deer taste much different than the deer from the area I now live, which is ag country with corn and soybeans as main crops. But if you find the chamber office for babbit and ask for information or ask for the nearest sporting goods store there they should be able to answer all your questions.
Good Luck
Old 01-25-2003, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the info Icc.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:49 PM

renohunter,
yes, you should go for sure. a lot of public land that is great for deer hunting in that area. it will probably be pretty cold, but that is good as it gets them moving. you should have a chance to take a deer if you are a decent hunter and put in some time. I am a lifelong MN resident and if you have any questions about hunting in MN, I would be glad to help.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do your friends hunt?

Are you thinking public land or do your friends know people that have land?

I would strongly advise finding private land. You can get lucky with public land but you will not know if it is hunted by many or few hunters. My friends family hunts a lot of land and in the middle of it is public land. You would never know it was there unless you had a map that shows you where public land are located within the state. The entrance to that spot is not posted and the owner next to the opening placed a no hunting sign there. So that land is a good spot if you find it. Our state doesn't have the numbers of deer other states have, but I like it that way.