Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rough Thanksgiving Day....

Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rough Thanksgiving Day....

Thanksgiving morning we received about 3-4" of snow. It was now the sixth day of our rifle season. My time on stand was not producing the sightings I had hoped it would. So I decided to try and make something out of nothing. I planned on finding a good track to follow. With the fresh snow, I traveled to one of my favorite shed hunting spots and started to search for a fresh track. About ten minutes into my hike a doe jumped out. Not far behind her was a very nice buck, followed by another doe. I had my scope cranked down to 4 power so it didn't take long to find the buck in my sights. First shot was high, and zinged the top portion of the base of the neck. I opened up the bolt and loaded a second shell. My next shot was a clear miss. Three seconds later, the buck was gone and back onto private property. Tracked him for a mile as a crow flies (according to the plat book). Very few drops of blood. Finally came upon a bed three hours later, and found just drops of blood where the base of the neck would be. I had always liked my chances of shooting any buck that dared to come into view during shooting hours during rifle season. I have since been humbled and realized that offhand shots at moving deer are not as "easy" as I had thought. If I don't get him with muzzleloader, then maybe next year. The notch in his right ear should be recognizeable.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rough Thanksgiving Day....

great buck wish you could of gotten him, hope you get him ML good luck
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a thick muscled mature buck for sure!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Better luck to you on the next go round! Hope that Muzzleloader pans out.

Shot two big muley does back to back with my wife's .243 this year. Popped them out of their beds, had the scope on 7pwr, swung on the lead doe - followed thru - bang! Jacked another in got on the second - bang!

Two double lung shots on a slow run, both at about 75 yards. The second doe had her left foot curled up against her vitals when the 100 grainer went thru and put a hole dead center just abover her hoof also. What a deal huh?

Anyway, it can be done. However, I generally don't take too many moving shots, and those that I do are backed by 1,500 rounds plus a year in varmint shooting practice, so I guess you know when you can perform, or not.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 PM

Nice deer man...