Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
lever or bolt action, why one or the other? >

lever or bolt action, why one or the other?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

lever or bolt action, why one or the other?

Old 01-23-2003, 07:42 PM

Default lever or bolt action, why one or the other?

Time has come for me to get a new rifle. Primarily used for Deer, both open spaces and woods.

What I am wondering if from a funtional standpoint there is any real world difference between a lever and bolt action. Other than differences in calibers. Accuracy, reliability, ease of cleaning/use? I don't want this to become a religious battle, but I would like opinions.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:44 PM

Default RE: lever or bolt action, why one or the other?

I like bolt!!!

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont like exposed hammer levers just because you fall and it has a greater chance of going off than anything else..and i always hunt with someone else so that isnt very safe..i do have a winchester 88 lever gun with no exposed hammer...its a nicer lever gun..but my main gun is a bolt..i only put one round in anyway i dont care how fast it comes out..if your going to do some big drives and liek to fling lead id opt for a lever or a pump just to make sure your deer goes down...besides the quick followup theres really no reason to get anything other than a bolt or a single shot...
Old 01-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I've hunted deer with a gun and bow for over 35 years. I have been a gunsmith for 27 years. I've used levers, pumps autos, and bolts. I will NEVER use anything anymore except a bolt. The main reason is that a bolt will not malfunction as the others. I can't count how many guns are brought to me that failed "at the wrong time". I had a M 742 do it to me before. Never again!
Guys in my hunting party used to use autos and pumps and all but one has converted to bolts. I've clearly noticed that since they converted they became much better at killing their deer on the first shot. It's amazing what the quick 2nd shot can do to someone.
As far as levers....Leave them alone for 2 reasons...Safety (exposed hammers) and dependability again. Just my 2 cents from and endless number of repairs and watching my hunting buds.

"Semper Fi"
Old 01-23-2003, 09:44 PM

Bolt actions are better suited for hunting in just about all respects. Better accuracy, higher performance rounds, better reliability, better triggers, the list goes on and on. The only reason to use a lever action is if you're one of these guys who likes to dress up like a 1870's cowboy and go prowling around the woods.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:22 AM

I hear bolt actions are more reliable and accurate. I would really like to get a bolt action .308 or .30-06.
Hector
Old 01-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Bolts - they're the only way to go IMHO.

Shoot often - Hunt always
Old 01-24-2003, 09:48 AM

I get so tired of hearing people slam lever guns. The fact is for over 100 years the Win 94 has been and still remains one of the top selling and most effective deer killers around. Year in and year out! Nobody is man enough to admit it though. I have hunted with a 94 in 30-30 for many years (my main gun) in just about every condition that deer are hunted and NEVER had a problem. A little common sense goes a long way.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:23 AM

Browning makes some great lever guns. I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Contrary to other's opinions, I have found the Remington 7600 pump to be very reliable. In fact, that is my favorite whitetail gun.

I have used lever action 30-30's and 44 mag, Remington pumps and an assortmant of bolt actions and single shots. I take good care of my guns and keep the ammo and actions clean in the field. Poor cleaning causes most jamming problems that I have seen.

The only "failure" that I have had in 34 years of hunting, not related to dirt, was about 20 years ago when a Remington 700 bolt gun slam fired when I was unloading it. Remington is finally recalling these guns. We all have our experiences and biases.

As far as accuracy goes, the Browning levers and the Remington 7600 are as accurate out of the box as most bolt guns. My experience has biased me concerning the accuracy of Marlin and Winchester lever guns. Others will have different opinions.

NRA Life Member since 2003
Old 01-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Spike

I personally prefer A-bolt, pun intended. I have shot most actions imaginable. In a 30-30 or 44, lever is fine. Browning's BLR comes in 243, 7mm-08, and a couple other smaller calibers with short action. I like those guns. But the 30-06, 308 and the like are long action and it takes a country mile to chamber another shell.

I might add, I am left handed and shoot a right handed bolt. I make my first shot count and have time to chamber another shell just in case.

In the long run, it should be personal preference. Each person has their own likes and dislikes.

Quick Reply: lever or bolt action, why one or the other?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.