Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why I love gun hunting as well as bow >

Why I love gun hunting as well as bow

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why I love gun hunting as well as bow

Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why I love gun hunting as well as bow

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

i agree with you 100%. hunting with dad is just, different.

But heres the question i often ask myself, why not take the bow instead of the rifle. I enjoy bow hunting more, would much rather harvest a deer with a bow, and like you said it is all about the experience. I can see the same experience being shared. Its almost as if i feel like i must take the rifle for that experience, when in reality, i could still have the same memories but also have a bow in hand.
btw, i still havent brought myself to give up the rifle and probably never will muzzleloader.

just rambling or does anyone else feel this way?
I know what your saying, BUT, I think your missing the point. It's not really "what" you hunt with, but "who" you hunt with while gun hunting. Gun hunting is more relaxed, a time to just "hang out" with family or closest friends. I enjoy bowhunting better, but there is something very special aboutgun hunting with my Dad and brother that for whatever reason, bowhunting does not provide. Bowhunting is so much more of a mental game, a chess match sort of speak, gun hunting isn't like that.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Atlas that brought back some awesome memories of my own. Our house was "deer camp". My uncles would drive up here from the Pittsburgh area. Usually come up the saturday before hunting season. I was only 10 the first time and I too young to hunt, but remember getting up at 4 am with all the other hunters just to feel the excitment. Always watching out the patio window to see who would be the first the drag a deer up the driveway. I remember one timeGrandpa was sitting in the dining room eating lunch, and a 6 point ran through the back woods. He ran outside and shot from the deck, missed but just the excitement of watching my 65 year old grandpa shoot a deer gave me chills. As the years went by, less people came up to "camp". But I started my own memories hunting the hill from across the house. My dad got his first buck there, I got mine and then many years later, my son got his first buck there. Three generations from the same hillside. Those are the memories that can never be taken. So whether you like bow or gun better its all your preference. But its the stories that we all can read years down the road that will touch us in a certain way that we can say "That brought back some awesomememories of my own." Thank You all!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

As much as I love the challenge and excitement of a bow hunt I love gun hunting just as much
Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

i agree with you 100%. hunting with dad is just, different.

But heres the question i often ask myself, why not take the bow instead of the rifle. I enjoy bow hunting more, would much rather harvest a deer with a bow, and like you said it is all about the experience. I can see the same experience being shared. Its almost as if i feel like i must take the rifle for that experience, when in reality, i could still have the same memories but also have a bow in hand.
btw, i still havent brought myself to give up the rifle and probably never will muzzleloader.

just rambling or does anyone else feel this way?

I hunt with a smooth bore Rem 870..........farthest deer I ever shot was 65 yards. Almost all have been in bow range, many from the ground with open sights. I basically bow hunt with a gun. I feel no greater sense of accomplishment when taking a deer with a bow vs my shotgun.........many times less.

My time in the woods with dad and family is priceless.........I couldn't care less what weapon I have i my hands.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Leverdude

Great post Atlas!
My Dad doesn't hunt. I started late at 29 with an uncle gun hunting. We had a friends camp in NY state we could use & Me, Uncle Richie & his brother Bob went every year until the land got sold 2 years ago. The times were great & the memories will last a lifetime.
Sadly just as my oldest boy got old enoughto tag along the camp was sold.

This year I took him to our camp in northern NH for a week. We hunted farms & mountains & saw not one deer. We did see many other wonderful things & the kid was thrilled just to be hunting & know that if we did see a deer he could take it. NH allows a junior hunter to hunt with no license or anything as long as he's acompanied by a licensed adult. We saw a mink & tracked deer for miles thru the snow. This is something we WILL do until I cant anymore. his littl;e brother can come next year if he wants. They come bowhunting but its not the same. Alone I perefer bowhunting, but as a family thing I dont think anything will replace rifle season for me.

This is priceless!,

The pictures say it all....................if you look at these pics and don't "get it", then it could never be explained to you. The experience is nothing short of life altering.

Thanks for sharing........those are PERFECT!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

We have photos from years back from squirrel hunts and rabbit hunts. We used to go to the pancake breakfast every year....same weekend....and then do a big rabbit hunt. I remember shooting doves in my grandpa's fields with his old buddies and thinking that was the greatest thing in the world.

Got nothing to do with the weapon, though, in my eyes. Time with family/friends is the caveat. Probably don't see the tradition in bowhunting "as much"....simply for the fact that bowhunting takes more practice and dedication to become proficient with your weapon. Any kid can go to deer camp after not shooting for 9 months and fire a rifle at a deer from 70 yds. Hell that's part of the beauty of it (I would suppose). Not as much scent worry. Not as much problem with movement Just a lax atmosphere. Sounds divine.

No offense at all. I have nothing against gun hunting. But...this is like starting a "how I love Curt Schilling" thread in the NYY forum.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Like I said.

ORIGINAL: atlasman

if you look at these pics and don't "get it", then it could never be explained to you. The experience is nothing short of life altering.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Let me get this straight.....I'm in a bowhunting forum....and I don't "get it" (whatever 'it' is)...because I don't get warm fuzzies over viewing photos and hearing stories of gun hunting memories?

OK...I see....

Like I said.....I have nothing aaginst gun hunting. Never have.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Site Buck Guru

Sometimes it is best to quit while you're ahead. Why keep getting stomped??!!
Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Sometimes it is best to quit while you're ahead. Why keep getting stomped??!!

Quick Reply: Why I love gun hunting as well as bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.