Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunt Etiquette

Old 11-25-2007, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Hunt Etiquette

I just read our regs and it does indeed state that having your name and address on a stand or blind does not give you exclusive rights to it's use.

Doesn't mean it makes it morally right to use someone else stuff though.

Paul
Old 11-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id sure feel stupid in someone elses stand. But just because someone went into some public woods and put up a stand, doesnt give him any claim to the area. Especially if he isnt there. Ive seen folks leave ladder stands up for months of bow hunting, and hardly used them.That doesnt shut down the area for everyone else.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Just to clear a few things up with some guys. I wasn't IN his stand....I was about halfway up the tree when I noticed it...it was too late for me to turn back and move before first light. Yeah I read Tennessee's regs and it says that prepositoned stands cannot be left in place more than 24 hours without prior consent of the area manager...but I know what everyone is saying about a blind being in place and etiquette. But again....such as a couple of guys have said...it shouldn't shut down the area for everyone else.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: wack

"you might as well have been hunting out of his blind....Ive had this happen to me and it pisses me off to no end."

Any blind or stand unoccupied on public hunting ground is public property and if you leave it there you should expect it to be used by other hunters. This isn't the old west , you can't just steak out your claim and call the area yours. You want your own private hunting area, go buy some land. If you don't want someone to use your stand or blind on public land, either do not leave it there or make damn sure you are there before anyone else. That does not give anyone the right to take someones stand or blind off of public land though, that is stealing.
First come, first serve is the rule of thumb. Some seem to think that's on a seasonal basis, I think it's on a day to day basis. I don't know how anyone could expect to put up a blind and expect anyone to honor "your claim" if you are not there. Deer hunting starts just before sunrise. You got your butt out of bed and got to the woods before that if you want to be successful. If you couldn't drag your butt out of bed in time to get out before sunrise, you've got nothing to gripe about when you walk in an hour after sunrise and find someone beat you too your spot. I hunted public ground this gun season and some of the other hunters were in treestandS at 3:30 am. If I'm in my stand at 3:30 am and someone walks in after sunrise, they'd best move on, blind, stand or not.
In the senario above, I believe cal was in the right and the other hunter did what was right also by leaving but you can't ever count on someone else doing the right thing. Pissin' off strangers with guns is never a good idea no matter how right or wrong you are or think you are. We are all brothers in the woods and the spirit of cooperation and brotherhood can go along ways to make the best out of any situation. If georgiahick finds me sitting in his blind and approaches me with a pist off attitude, neither one of us are going to have a good hunt. He shows up with a good attitude, friendly demeanor, I'd move on or maybe even work together to make it the best hunt possible for the both of us. Be nice, make a new friend and you've got another hunter hunting your area to watch your back. Think about it. Rip on someone sitting in your blind or stand? Just what might trhat get you?
The only difference between hunting with your buddy and hunting with a stranger is communication. The old saying, 2 heads are better than 1, talking to a stranger hunting the same area you are can be a real learning experience for both hunters. With the wrong approach, it can get ugly quickly. We're all doing something we love to do or we wouldn't be out there. Work together.
One of my most memorable public ground hunts I had a guy who I kept running into several days in a row. He scared deer away from me, I scared deer away from him, we were both getting frustrated. One the 4th morning, we found ourselves 40 yards apart again, had deer go right between us and neither could get a safe shot off. I walked over to him, introduced myself and told him I had an idea. The deer we had just seen went into a lot of thick cover but had nowhere to go, had to either cross a big fast river or come back, but we had to move fast.. My stand, I could cover both eascape routs but he'd still be in the way if they chose that rout. I invited him over by my stand to cover the way they came in. When the 1st deer, a doe, stepped out by the river I dropped it. That sent the rest the other way, in 30 seconds we each had 2 doe down. Another 30 seconds later, we each had a buck down. My new friend and I spent the rest of the day gutting and dragging and we both agreed that it was the best hunt either of us had ever had but verry easily could have been our worst.

couldnt have said it better myself, I try to be as nice as possible except the one time a guy was a total butt plug to me
Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 PM

oh and I was being sarcastic about sitting in his blind....sorry I didnt make it clearer....

Old 11-25-2007, 05:02 PM
JW
Super Moderator

In my state it is illegal to leave a blind on public land open for hunting. My rule of thumb is 1st served - Though others have not respectd that right at times.

One reason I am always the first out - rather enjoy that hour and a half wait int he dark - yes I do use a flashlight.

JW
Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 PM

In MI you can leave them there if you are disabled. I really wouldn't want to hunt in some disabled dudes blind, would you?

Paul
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM

What kind of blind was it? Was it a brushblind or a storebought/homemade?

I hunt public land alot. I've found many brush blinds that have been up for years. With these I try to evaluate thier use. If they are fresh or appear to be used. I skip that area for that day, but I try to keep an eye on it to see if it is in use. I've used brush blinds that others have set up a few times. I am sure and would hope that if (ur not suppose to in the Adirondack park) I set one up others would use it.Too me thats part of hunting on public land and it is first come first serve to an area.

Now if its a storebought/homemade I assume somebody is in the thing and move away, but I've never seena bought/homemadeblind left unattended on Public land.

Honestly I don't think anybody did anything really wrongin this caseother than showing up a little late and not properly scouting, a problem I believe we all have had. In fact I applaud the fellow that apologized and left. Its a problem any of us that hunt public land face. I remember when I was a kid hunting the Allegheny forest I walked in based on a buddies advise before light found a comfy spot to sit and waited. I was sitting on the side of swale maybe 30 yards across come daylight, I was looking directly at another hunter on the other side. We meant in the middle and decided I'd go up (i was considerably younger than him) 50 yards and he would go down 50 yards.

When it really comes down to it, the only way you can "stake" a claim on Public land is by standing on it.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:23 PM

I think that it's first come first served. I hunt public land all the time. If I set up a stand before opening day, on some land you can leave them up and on some you can't, I would plan to get there early on opening day because if I'm not occupying my stand, then I know that some other hunter can set himself up in that area. If I see a stand, I keep an eye out to see if anyone is using it. I'd try to set up somewhere else if I saw one like you did. But if he doesn't show up until later in the day, sorry, but it's public land. Best thing to do if he shows up it talk to him about his plans. I think the guy with the blind recognized that he was late and didn't have a right to that land.

The thing about groundblinds is interesting. I was scouting some national forest land last year and came acrossa veryelaborate ground blind made of logs all tied together with a bench built into sit on, a roof with brush tied on it, almost like a little log cabin. Theguyhad shooting lanes cut, which is legal on nat. forest land if the brush is under one inch., and everything. Now ifthat guy showed up on opening morning and you were in his stand, that would be bad.If you said, hey, this is public land andI was here first,I think fists would be flying.By putting all that effort into it,I'm sure he would feel like he had rights to that property. I'm not sureI think that is right, but I think some folks have been hunting on that public land a long time and have clearlystaked their claim.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

It was a home-made prefabricated blind. Basically military vehicle netting masking a stand. And just so everyone is clear....I did not set up IN his blind. I was setting up on the exact tree my buddy had described to me next to huge log that had been there ten years...etc...I was heading up the tree and commited by the time I saw it. I could have moved but then I would have been THAT guy moving in the woods after first light......

Quick Reply: Hunt Etiquette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.