Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Control

Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scent Control

A buddy of mine who strictly bow hunts gave me some advice as to scent control. I wear a couple layers of scent-loc which says just throw it in the dryer for about 40 minutes, place it in a scent-loc bag and put it on in the field. Now my buddy said take it a step further because the dryer sheets still linger in the lint catch. He said wash it is scent free soap and let it air dry outside(over trees etc..) and then seal it in a large ziplock and again dress in the field. Sounds good to me...any recommendations on laundry cleaner to use? I have heard baking soda is good.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent Control

Baking soda is good. I always use it.
I am going to try my on scentlok.
CRUSHED CHARCOAL POWDER.
Place your cheap clothes in your sealable bag and shake it to coat clothes.
Should work!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 AM

no offense intended here. But. the activated carbon that is used in Scent Lock clothing is from the coconut shells.the oil used to make charcoal will pretty much defeat your attempts at being scent free.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: freezermeat

no offense intended here. But. the activated carbon that is used in Scent Lock clothing is from the coconut shells.the oil used to make charcoal will pretty much defeat your attempts at being scent free.
Point well made fm...

Since charcoal is designed to absorb odors,any lose particles on your hunting clothing may pickup undesirable odors.
JMHO, but this may do more harm than good.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:08 AM

the sent loc suits are good I'm sure,but down her in the south,you will end up like a thanksgiving turkey,baked in the suit.
theres no way to wear that stuff here.that being said.I bow hunt,and B/P , gun hunt from the ground most of the time.
I use H.S.Sents sent-a-way spray, I buy it by the Gal. jugs.I spray it on my cloths and let dry. then when I get out of my truck, I spray my boots,cloths and really spray my hat.
I have had deer within 3' or 4' of me and not get spooked.that I all I ever use.I do make sure I am clean as well as my cloths.
last year I had a buck walk by my blind and look in the window and never spook. he did act like he knew something was there.he just walked away feeding.

I believe if your clean and use something like the sent-a-way you will be OK.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wash my clothes in plain water and hang them to dryoutside. After a day or so I put them in a starage container and sprinkle baking soda on them. I have had deer all araound me this year and never been scented that I know of. The two that I have killed this year where both downwind and never knew what hit them.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Why dont you just get some scent blocker laundry
Old 11-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Well I heard that if you take pine needles and boil them in some water that you can bottle it and use it as scent killer. But that is just what I have heard. Anyone know if it is true or not?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

find a way to use the dryer. Supposedly re-activating the carbon to trap scent requires heat, and the directions are specifically to use the dryer to get this effect. In fact, some ad for it or something like that says if you have to choose only one between the washer or dryer to re-activate the carbon, choose the dryer for the heat effect. I would wash a load of regular clothes in scent free detergent, run it through the dryer with no sheet, then scent block spray the dryer, the wash and dry the scent-loc.