Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

worst luck

Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default worst luck

Do you ever feel you have the worst luck when it comes to deer hunting. Had3 does come though about 70 yards off. They came though pretty fast went to a field to feed. Twenty mintues later 3 more came though had one locked on but by now getting bit dark hard to see she decided to move. Never got a shot. Least I know where they bed and eat now. I have had so many close calls but never happens anyone feel they have bad luck like this.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM

Default RE: worst luck

I put a shell in backwards once in my 7 mm remington magnum and had to drive home to get tools to get it back out.

While I was gone, someone shot a nice buck near my deer stand.

It's all a part of hunting.

Or I could tell you about the time when it was so cold that I couldn't get a fire going and tried to burn my hot seat. Left the area to get matches and a drink of water and when I came back - there was a gut pile where my hot seat was at.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Spike

i am still tring to get my first deer....first time had a doe at 20 yards and missed by a mile(i think the arrow fell of the arrow rest thats why i missed so bad)...2nd time i missed a 10 pointer at 30 yards over its back....3rd time missed a 6 pointer at 30 yards over it back again, an hour later as i was leaving i had already put my bow down on the ground and a buck and doe were walking straight at me, as i rushed to rasie my bow back up the doe saw it and stoped at 15 yards then spooked, the buck stoped at 20 yards behind a tree no shot. then the following week i had a 10 pointer at 10 yards that stopped behind a tree and i had a gap of about 6 inches,,i thought i could put the arrow thru... not to be... missed again. all this has happend with in the last month and i am getting kinda frustrated. i am going again in the am hopfuly my luck will change...I AM DUE FOR A BUCK!!!!!

ps. the reason i missed high on those 2 buck is cuz my sight had moved and it was off...i think i got that fixed...i also get buck fever big time when i am about to shoot.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:45 PM

thats luck to me.i didnt c an y deer,except a a$$ of one.and that was opener.i wnt from nov3 to nov18 without seeing any.except just now y dad cam ein and said he just saw to does and i dont have a bow,my dad has a smaller crowwbow with a 50lb draw.i need a archery liscense.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Don't worry, we have all been there. I feel the same way while bowhunting. I have been bowhunting for 3 years now and still have notgotten a deer with my bow. I have had some close calls but when it all comes down to it I still haven't gotten a deer with my bow. I no exactly what you are going through...I think we all do.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

I've got a spike buck this year with my bow, first deer ever. I decided to use my shotgun with slugs to get a little more range because the deer weren't coming really close to my stand. First shot, missed 50yds with open sight....bad shot choice to begin with. Second shot, put a scope on the shotgun and sighted it in at 50yds, 30yds......missed over a doe's back...attributed the missed to a scope flinch due to bruised forehead from sighting in gun. Third shot, 48yds at a fully grown doe......missed.....checked sighting on scope....had been knocked six inches down and six inches right.....resighted scope.

If there's anything left in the woods I hunt, I've missed with the shotgun twice in one area and once in the other, I'd be surprised. But, I'll be back out with my bow Thanksgiving morning....I seem to be more accurate with it.

Total tally......1 spike buck, 3 misses, huge knot on forehead and a load of bruised pride and self-esteem.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 PM

Me too. Now that I got a buck this firearm season I am picking up my bow and heading back out.