Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 opening day tommorow rifle(alabama) >

opening day tommorow rifle(alabama)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

opening day tommorow rifle(alabama)

Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Spike

Default opening day tommorow rifle(alabama)

I love this time of year. Bow season has been awesome and now I am ready to change gears into rifle season. Here in lies my problem. Where to go, I go through this every year so I figured I'd ask you tremendously knowledgeable people.

1. "my honey honey hole", I have spent most of bow season here with 2 does in the freezer to boot. There are so many white oak acorns on the ground here it is unbelievable. Also less than 100yds from water.(as all these locations are.) I have seen deer (nothing with any bigs horns) in this area every time I have been in here. There are old rubs on trees the size of my leg as well.

2. Hardwood hollow... this is an area that is rarely hunted because of difficulty getting there. It is basically about a 2 acre hollow between 8 year old thick planted pines... a thicket that goes on for days (no one hunts in here (sanctuary)... and the 80 acre swamp ( which this year is more streams than anything because of the drought. There are trails everywhere leading to this area. Again there are plenty of acorns on the ground as well here(although no where as near as the "honey hole) No one has been in here this year.

3. the overlook... again plenty of sign and big rubs from last year as well. lots of acorns. I can see a good ways in all directions rarely hunted as well put a ladder stand in here after the season last year. Probably a hundred yards from a major creek. Alsolots of food. Less than 100 yds from our largest food plot. This area is bordered by pines and briars galore.

4. the clear cut... 3 year old clear cut growth is neck high or more.. I set a tripod here with all intentions of being here on opening morning. It is a 10 acre cut over that I can see for days from the tripod. I can also look down into 2 creek bottoms with loads of acorns and fresh water. The bottoms have been hunted this year and a few deer taken off (one good 8 point) I don't feel it has been overpressured by any means but the bottoms have been hunted..

Sorry about the lengthy post, by the way I have checked the wind and all theese spots fit the bill for the wind....It would have been an entirely different list if the wind was different. So I have decided to let you decide. 1,2,3, or 4. I will do as you advise. And post the results.

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Spike

Default RE: opening day tommorow rifle(alabama)

come on guys and gals don't let me down
Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: opening day tommorow rifle(alabama)

Get where you can see the best. You can hunt the thickets later, when the deer feel more pressured.

And post a pic of that buck WHEN you get him.